Best DR for street/strip combo

Big Q

Established Member
Was leaning towards the MT et radial pro 275/60/15, but some say they don't hook at well on the street. Is there a better option out there that would work for both, car will be 700+ whp used for no prep races (acutally you can use your own tire prep at the start lol) and occasional street pulls. Have a set of 20"s for normal cruising, and the DR's need to fit 15x10 wheels. Thanks

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Had a set of mt dr.s 305/35/19's on the street they do hook on the street but have a softer sidewall so they feel like balloons on the back of my car. I got tired of that feeling and replaced them with nitto ntr05 r's they hook just as well on the street but feel like real street tires with a stiffer sidewall...very pleased with them.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...wProductResults&pc=15239&ar=35&rd=19.0&cs=305

Big Q

Established Member
I can say my MT et pros in a 275/60 hook quite well on the street. Im only at 630hp though

Lol close enough, thanks for the input guys. Unless a bunch chime in with negative reviews I'll order some up...

KPatrone

Established Member
Mt et pros being mounted here on my 795whp setup. Im sure hoping for decent traction with them and my new suspension setup. Won't know for a few months but I've heard good things

vortecd

Established Member
When street/strip is referred to, you have to think rain. The best would be the Nitto's 555r. When you caught in the rain, you will not even know you have a DR on the car.

Now if the car is 90% track then I would be looking at Hoosiers DR's since the car is pretty much not driven on the street

Holovacko

Established Member
I run the 555R as a daily, it is good in the rain and 60' 1.5's at the track. I'm switching to M/T Pro's..to drop the 60' a little more and for better street launches. The Hoosiers hook well too and are a lighter tire, but they're too soft and thin (which makes them lighter) to really drive any distance.. If you're staying radial, the M/T is the best option in my opinion.

SCalla1384

Established Member
For a street/strip car I always recommend nt555rs. They get real good mileage, and hook good with a nice burnout at the track. I was able to go 1.72 60' on stock suspension. A buddy went 1.64 on his stock boss on 18" nt555rs. Of course they won't hook like the mickeys, but they will last longer. And they do great in the rain.

Big Q

Established Member
Sorry I should clarify, when I refer to street it's nice weather local competition type fun. Typically I will swap back to my Forgestars and Toyo's for daily driving. Maybe I should title it best 80% track / 20% street racing tire...

Last edited:

rotarymagic

Established Member
275 Pro or if the roads are complete shit and you don't care about a Dot stamp, get the Pro Bracket Radial. Softer compound for better consistency if the conditions suck lol.

sleeper02

Established Member
Im running 555r DRs daily (305/35/20) and I can contest that they are very well manored on the street especially in the rain! At the track I cut a 1.7 60ft with bmr links and suspension using koni yellows at full soft. This was a soft launch at 20psi and I drive an m6 with 550-600 whp.

No complaints, but Im downsizing my wheels to 18" Drifts and going with 315 NT05R DRs next. I want more contact patch on the street and a true 28" tire out back.

evil281

Established Member
Im running 555r DRs daily (305/35/20) and I can contest that they are very well manored on the street especially in the rain! At the track I cut a 1.7 60ft with bmr links and suspension using koni yellows at full soft. This was a soft launch at 20psi and I drive an m6 with 550-600 whp.

No complaints, but Im downsizing my wheels to 18" Drifts and going with 315 NT05R DRs next. I want more contact patch on the street and a true 28" tire out back.

I have the nt555r in the same size on my 20x11 rear. I was at 676rwhp on the dyno and I can say since the temps started going down to about 50-60 degrees in az I spin all through 3rd on the street.

I would not waste your time with the nt555r unless you are concerned with how many miles you might get out of them. I am looking at the mt et street s/s or possibly getting a set of dark stars for fun on the street. I like the idea of the pro but I want to be able to drive in the rain if I get caught out.

lpheaven

Established Member
Thinking about getting the pros for my BOSS. It never sees rain and is a weekend warrior mostly. I want to keep the stock wheels(shaddup i like em). Worried about the torsen though on dead hooks from a launch. Im over 600 at the tires(procharged). Im on 265/295 mpss now and even in the summer i spin through 4th.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I was suprised how streetable the Pro's are! I drive all over with them. 90 min trips at 75mph on the highway without worries...

Sleipnir 5O

Established Member
While the Pro is technically a street legal radial my advice would be to not DD them. To and from the track with some grudge races mixed in will be all the action my Pro tires see. The sidewall seems extremely soft for a radial and it has just the right amount of groove in it to pass DOT. Even MT doesn't recommend to drive it on the street. They even went so far as to stamp the warning on the tire. Sorta like when you buy alcohol. Haha. There is no better DOT radial for straight line traction though.

Last edited:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
While the Pro is technically a street legal radial my advice would be to not DD them. To and from the track with some grudge races mixed in will be all the action my Pro tires see. The sidewall seems extremely soft for a radial and it has just the right amount of groove in it to pass DOT. Even MT doesn't recommend to drive it on the street. They even went so far as to stamp the warning on the tire. Sorta like when you buy alcohol. Haha. There is no better DOT radial for straight line traction though.

Tread life is definitely short, but damn, they HOOK. Track and street. Incredible tires for sure, I'm gonna be putting them on my RTS setup this spring for my car. Should hold it easily now and just fine with boost as well.

Users who are viewing this thread