Best deal/most affordable 18" tires?

NC Mystic

Established Member
hey all, i have sourced 95% of everything for my cobra getting back on the road in the shape i want it but one thing i am flying blind on is tires.

the wheels are 18x9/10 staggered Saleens. I haven't drive the car in year so i honestly don't expect the tires to survive the carnage for toooo long :rolling:

So, given that this set will probably not be long for this world what is the most affordable tire combo to go with? I will probably go for some dr's over the summer, although a friend showed me a set of dr's for around 500 brand new, given more than i'd really like to spend right now given everything else going on with the car

so should i bite the bullit and save up another week for dr's or can you guys point me to some dirt cheap tires for the time being?

it has some hateful chrome 17" r replicas with the fox offset with flatspot tires right now so i'd like to put the saleens on it before it goes to the shop just to make it easier to move around and whatnot

yefferys50

Established Member
Sumitomo's or Kumho's will be your most affordable new option in a likelihood. You can get a 275/35/18 Sumitomo HTR Z II for $152 each through tirerack.com

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I got some nitto 555 tires for 350 for 2 shipped to my door from onlinetire.com
They are decent in 275/35r18 and I like them alot

Don't buy sumitomos you will regret it

Tickle

Established Member
Don't buy sumitomos you will regret it

It depends on which ones. I have the htrzIII and they are great. Quiet and perform really well for the price.

I have heard horror stories about HTRZII. The tread pattern looks cooler but they are noisy.

NC Mystic

Established Member
this is the best deal i have been able to find so far. 285x40 rear and 275x35 fronts

rears are goodyear eagle f1's for $100 a piece and rears are nexens for $153 a piece

the tread matches pretty well. i'm open to a suggestion on a matching pair in for the same price or less but i'd like to keep close to the same sizes

i am planning to order tomorrow, $600 shipped for all 4

https://www.onlinetires.com/cart.php

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Summitomo HTRZII suck monkey balls. Same goes for the Potenza RE760 sports. No traction on a bolt on geared na cobra. They feel good in the corners up until the live axle hits a little bump. But no traction in straight lines.

SVT Rob

Established Member
Yea, the HTR-Z II's suck pretty bad. They were halfway decent when they were new, but after 10k miles, I don't like them anymore. Any type of water on the ground, and it's like driving on ice. My car is pretty stock (tuned, mufflers, lowered, short shifter), and it will break the rear 285's casually shifting into 3rd when it's raining. On dry pavement, they feel amazing, but a little noisier than most other more expensive tires.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Yea, the HTR-Z II's suck pretty bad. They were halfway decent when they were new, but after 10k miles, I don't like them anymore. Any type of water on the ground, and it's like driving on ice. My car is pretty stock (tuned, mufflers, lowered, short shifter), and it will break the rear 285's casually shifting into 3rd when it's raining. On dry pavement, they feel amazing, but a little noisier than most other more expensive tires.

Lol I used to break my 3/4 tread sumitomos loose at 50 and they were 315s
They were given to me... And I figured out why very fast

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I have some 245 Dunlops and some 295 Vredesteins if youd be interested, pm me. Both sets are very very nice tires, cheap tires and power don't mix well.

signal7

Established Member
Anybody have any opinions on these?
1. https://www.onlinetires.com/product...18+goodyear+eagle+f1+supercar+96w+vsb+sp.html
2. https://www.onlinetires.com/product...40-18+goodyear+eagle+f1+supercar+96w+vsb.html

Also, what's the difference between the two? The listed retail price of the first tire is more than double the second tire.

They also have a front tire that should work well with the staggered Saleens at a decent price. https://www.onlinetires.com/product...18+goodyear+eagle+f1+supercar+99w+vsb+sp.html

Advice and opinions please.

SVT Rob

Established Member
285/40R18 seems like it would be a pretty tall tire. I'm running a 285/35R18 on the rear of mine, with a 275/35R18 on the front. Going with a 265/35 on the front, when I do it again, and a 295/35 on the rear. There is a .1" difference in tire height between those two sizes.

signal7

Established Member
285/40R18 seems like it would be a pretty tall tire. I'm running a 285/35R18 on the rear of mine, with a 275/35R18 on the front. Going with a 265/35 on the front, when I do it again, and a 295/35 on the rear. There is a .1" difference in tire height between those two sizes.

The overall diameter of the front and rears is 27 inches as listed on the spec sheet. http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/eagle-f1-super-car
Is this to tall of a tire? Anybody ever ran a similar combo? Anybody have any experience with these GoodYear tires?

Last edited:

SVT Rob

Established Member
The overall diameter of the front and rears is 27 inches as listed on the spec sheet. Eagle F1 SuperCar Tires | Goodyear Tires
Is this to tall of a tire? Anybody ever ran a similar combo? Anybody have any experience with these GoodYear tires?
Factory size is a 245/45R17, which is 25.68" tall.

My fronts are 25.58" tall and the rears are 25.85" tall, close enough to factory for me. I'd hate for that extra 1.5" go into the ride height of the vehicle, then your lowering springs were for naught, as you just raised the vehicle back up with overall tire height. But that's just my personal opinion.

255/40R18 is 26.03" tall and 295/35R18 is 26.13" tall.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
OP, I would stay around a 26" tire..

I'm running 275/35/18's and 315/30/18's on 18x9, 18x10's and are super close to each other.

I could spin my Sumitomo's HTRZ II's at 60mph on dry pavement brand new.. HORRIBLE tires..

If you can be patient, shop on ebay... I found nitto's for my 20's $200 cheaper SHIPPED than what even discount tire direct could do, who has been the cheapest shipped that I have been able to find.

Users who are viewing this thread