Best current clutch options street/strip

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So my clutch gave up today. It was used straight out of BIRDOC's car after his 8.60 ride.
It came with a full rebuild kit that is upgraded in regards to discs for both more holding power and full faced instead of current pick style to allow more street ability.
I'm likely going to rebuild it and run it but if it doesn't look right I'm ready to buy whatever best option I have.
The car does make big power 960rwhp range and will get a fuel system and TVS 2650, but other than that it's done for power and I'll only race it 2-3 times a year.
So it's gotta deal with 9 second passes on bias ply tires but mainly will be for street cruising and top end pulls maybe 1/2 mile.
What's the best option?
My current after rebuild is the $1800 Spec twin.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
To clarify the current is a puck style Spec and upgrade discs are full faced friction.
I did that from puck to full face on my Fox from Spec 3 to 3+ and full faced 3+ was a night and day better clutch.
Not giving up hope on track outing this coming Sat as far was running awesome except for known weak clutch.
-J

RBB

Established Member
I've had good luck with my Centerforce Dyad. It's very streetable....light pedal and doesn't seem to chatter and jerk as much in street driving situations as some of the other aftermarket options. It's held up just fine with a year and a half of track use as well....probably 50 passes on it so far.

That said, I'm not making your kind of power (yet), but Centerforce claims it'll hold 1,200 ft lbs of torque. I'll be pushing the limits a little more once I get the new engine in, so we'll see what happens.

kwarnerjr

Established Member
For whatever this is worth....

https://instagram.com/p/BUCpHFRlE_L/

702fde6d5df232e1b6e2498912146948.png

This guy beats the cars to no end...the clutches also carry hefty price tags...

Anyone on here have experience with one of these?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RBB

Established Member

deepblue13

Established Member
I have a Spec E-Trim. I had a Mcleod RXT but it slipped real bad on the dyno. E-Trim holds up to the power and abuse. It is a little harsh on street driving but not extreme.

manny231988

Established Member
I'm also looking for a clutch for when my stock one goes out I was leaning towards the DYAD, but have heard mantic was good also. I wanna be able to slip it a little not an on off feel all the time.

pilote

Established Member
J'hésite avec le DYAD Centerforce livré complet et le MC LEOD RXT avec la roue Alu ...
J'ai un stade 4 VMP avec H PIPE Lethal et Borla S Type ...

pilote

Established Member
I hesitate with the DYAD Centerforce delivered complete and the MC LEOD RXT with Alu wheel ...
I have a 4 VMP stage with H PIPE Lethal and Borla S Type ...

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm leaving for strip soon but long story short it was and axle issue and clutch was fine. I'm actually liking the Spec more now and hoping to love it at the strip but I'll def rebuild it to the better version this winter.
-J

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
I'm only at 750rwhp/730rwtq but loving this Mantic Cerametallic. I have about 25 passes at the strip so far and a few dyno pulls. Feels like stock but grips hard with no noise.

manny231988

Established Member
Hey Rzr did you do the install yourself or paid to do it ? I saw that beefcake sells mantics now, I'm just wondering I there's any shimming or any special to run this manic triple disk
I'm only at 750rwhp/730rwtq but loving this Mantic Cerametallic. I have about 25 passes at the strip so far and a few dyno pulls. Feels like stock but grips hard with no noise.

RBB

Established Member
I was just looking at these on Beefcake's website. That triple disk looks nice....a little on the high side compared to the standard offerings from McLeod, etc, but not outrageous.

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
IMG_3309.JPG
IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3357.JPG
No I didn't install it myself, my bud owns a bunch of dealerships and offered to have it done for me. I really like it! Remember the price is higher because it comes with the flywheel and slave as well. Just had to grab a $15 pilot bushing from Ford.

Also turned the case into a laptop case for the track/garage.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I just want a Mantic for the case haha.
Spec clutch held strong and shifted fast, a bit noisy and looking forward to rebuild to better specs. It's funny as this is the EXACT clutch straight from Birdocs 8.60 pass and holding up to my high power build. Will be interesting to see the improvements from the sprung full faced upgrade discs. Def no slip on the strip from this one trying to walk out a drag radial, made launching almost impossible.
Overall we have several offerings, but I think it's clear these high torque 4000# modern muscle cars really task a clutch more than almost any application.
I'm going to look into what the Hellcat guys are doing as that car is even heavier, higher torque and if I remember correctly even a worse first gear (2.29 vs our 2.66).
-J

manny231988

Established Member
Did you ever decide on a clutch, mine just went out last night on my third run I was dumping it pretty good and I went shifting into third wouldn’t go into gear, so I’m in the market for a stout clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread