Best combo for torque?

04 Redline

Established Member
First off, I do not have a Cobra, but I am aware to the Mustang world as I used to have a decently modded 01Gt, and helped my friend build up his 04 Cobra. Now, I have the Saturn ion red line. I know I have only 4cyl, so huge torque is limited. My car makes approximatly 200hp to the tires, and around 180tq. Moves pretty good, but I can't help but notice that some setup's on your cars' show sometimes 100 more hp than tq, and vice versa. What can you do to a supercharged 2.0 to get that ratio a little more even. The members at the Saturn boards are pretty young, and don't provide too much feedback, so I was wondering if someone could give me some input. I'm straight by the by the way, I only bought the Saturn because it was the fastest economy car I could find, and I have 2 mortgages to deal with, so flaming shoudn't apply here.
Marke

Lightning247

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Established Member
I'm not familiar with the Redline's but if they come with Positive displacement superchargers (like the 03/04 Cobras) then it's making about as much torque as it's going to get without some nitrous. Positive displacement blowers create massive amounts of torque especially at lower RPM's. Pully down the supercharger you currently have, concentrate on improving the intake and exhaust restrictions. Headers, free flowing catback, some kind of Intake and a good tune should be steps in the right direction. If the Redline is a DOHC car I wouldn't worry to much about the Torque being less then the HP. That's just the way it is most of the time. Just be glad you're numbers are even close as that is the typical case with most modified N/A or centri blown 4V applications. Very nice HP numbers, less then impressive TQ numbers...but when you consider the Operating range of a particular vehicles application the torque deficiencies are made up for with a high redline, and free-breathing motor such as a 4V.

Now if we're speaking of an unlimited budget (which I don't believe we are here), then a Turbo is the way to go. 4V + Turbo = match made in heaven. They're like Peanut butter and Jelly.

Good luck either way,
Philip K.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Most turbo buicks make 100+ more tq than hp. It might have something to do with the turbo and less hp/tq loss on turning the blower. Hope this helps.

acrod

Established Member
superchargers I think are pretty much a waste of time and money on a 4 cyl. Turbo is definitely the way to go.

95sn95

Blue Devil!
Established Member
acrod said:
superchargers I think are pretty much a waste of time and money on a 4 cyl. Turbo is definitely the way to go.

+1

A turbo would be the way to get more torque. More realistically, a 75 shot should give you a nice big gob of torque to play with. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread