Best Clutch for 2001 Cobra?

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Ok, I smoked the clutch at the track pretty badly yesterday. The smell STILL isn't out of the car, and I've driven 100 miles since, much of it with the windows down. It still holds, but is definately hurt. (thanks to the water box guy...I guess ET Streets don't need no stinkin water! :gt: )

So, what is the best replacement clutch for a 2001 Cobra? I've thought about the Spec II or maybe a 2003 Cobra upgrade. I want something that works at the strip with the ET Streets, but also is nice for the mountain twisties. It can have more pressure than the stock clutch. I thought the stock feel was a bit "light" anyway.

The car has 305 RWHP, 300 TQ, 2003 halfshafts, PHP IRS brace and bushings, rebuilt rear end clutch packs with an extra friction plate, 4.30 gears and aluminum driveshaft. It still has all the stock clutch stuff.

Anybody that's been there and done that, I would appreciate your input. Anybody that wished they had made a different decision, I would appreciate your input too. Thanks guys!
:beer:

Last edited:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
LOL..

Ken.. I've done the same thing, I actually smoked them for 7 seconds.. The smell took a week to get out.

Anyhow.. The car runs fine but when I got to the track and do 4-5 passes it starts to act up a tad.

Anyhow.. I'd do a Spec Stage II at least.. Or just replace it with the 03 upgrade.. Either way it will be about the same price.

I'm planning on putting in The 03 Clutch unless someone says otehrwise. (I already have one in the garage).

Shawn

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Yeah, mine was about the same amount of time. The guys were hollering at me to stop, but with the windows up and the helmet, I couldn't hear them. :(

The clutch now engages about 2" higher than it did, and the only way I can describe it is "squishy". I wouldn't want to try any more burnouts or 1/4 mile runs with it in the shape it is now. I figure the 2003 Cobra has more HP and Torque than mine, so it might be a good upgrade. I've also heard good things about the Spec's, but a Stage III may be a bit much for my application. That's why I am asking for input...somebody out there is bound to have already gone through this!

Bob Cosby

Established Member
I still have, and still recommend, a stock 11" Cobra clutch. I've changed it a couple of times, but never had any issues with slippage - and its great on the street.

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Bob Cosby
I still have, and still recommend, a stock 11" Cobra clutch. I've changed it a couple of times, but never had any issues with slippage - and its great on the street.
Thanks Bob. Would that be a stock 01 or a stock 03? ;-) I figure if I am going to change it out, I may as well put the 03 in it, eh?

Last edited:

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the info NOScobra. I think I escaped without major clutch damage. I will know for sure the next time I make it to the track with the ET Streets. ;-)

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
On a suggestion from my shop I installed a D&D tweaked McLeod clutch in my car good for 500-550 horsepower. I grenaded my clutch on it's 5th pass ever at the track (Yes it was still N/A). I knew in time that my car would be making the kind of horsepower that this clutch would support so I installed it.

So far it has taken quite a beating under 500+ horsepower runs. I also notice allot of other high horsepower guys running a McLeod as well. I'm not saying to buy it, just offering an honest suggestion.

Razor.:beer:

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by akatherazor4
On a suggestion from my shop I installed a D&D tweaked McLeod clutch in my car good for 500-550 horsepower. I grenaded my clutch on it's 5th pass ever at the track (Yes it was still N/A). I knew in time that my car would be making the kind of horsepower that this clutch would support so I installed it.

So far it has taken quite a beating under 500+ horsepower runs. I also notice allot of other high horsepower guys running a McLeod as well. I'm not saying to buy it, just offering an honest suggestion.

Thanks for the info Razor. Question: How does it work around town and in the twisties? I have heard those beasties are a bit on the severe side. :shrug:

akatherazor4

If you see this tag, Run!
Established Member
Originally posted by Ken01-Cobra
Thanks for the info Razor. Question: How does it work around town and in the twisties? I have heard those beasties are a bit on the severe side. :shrug:

The clutch is 100% streetable, my wife even drives the car once or twice a week. At first the clutch did have a very slight chatter when it engaged, but that is gone now. I think it just needed some time to break in.

Ken01-Cobra

Established Member
Cool...thanks for the input! Somewhere down the road, I hope to add a turbo to my Cobra. At that point, it would make sense to have a clutch capable of handling the power. :D :beer: :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread