best CAI?

JDrake

Established Member
My bud just bought a 2006 GT, he is new to mustangs so he turns to me for information and advice, i myself own a 1995 GTS and a 2001 Cobra so i dont know much about s197, i was wondering what is the best CAI for your cars? and do all CAIs need a tune also? or is it just recommended? any help would be greatly appreciated.

this is probably a repost but the search button doesnt really do its job.

THE_STIG

Established Member
My car came with a C&L street, it does its job, I wish it had something better like the racers or a steeda cai

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
C&L, Steeda, and FRPP make some nice CAI's. He'll need a tuner to get everything out of having a CAI. Most of them require a tuner.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
If he don't want a tune right now his best bet it to order the C&L street with the NO TUNE insert. With the no tune insert it still flows better than the bullitt intake and most other cold airs. Then when he wants a tune all he does is pull out the insert and install the tune. The C&L street is a great CAI. My uncle installed the C&L street (no tune) in his car and he loved it. He has a tune and no insert now and loves it even more.

JDrake

Established Member
I know on the new edge JLT is the only way to go, i noticed it is one of the cheaper CAI for S-197 stangs, is it still a quality product or has it been surpassed as top dog?

JMoraru

Established Member
JLT, C&L, and steeda seem to all be great CAIs. there seems to be minimal power differences between them so it is pretty much preference. i personally went with the JLT and had it color matched to the car(option when ordering). oh yea and i ordered from bamachip and am happy!

rj333

Graduating Sooner or Late
Established Member
I went with the C&L Racer. It has a pretty large 95mm MAF housing, but does require a tune. But damn does this setup turn the car into a completely different animal.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
JLT and C&L street make about the same power. The C&L race made about 5 more hp to the tires on the same car, same dyno, same day about 5 mins apart. I was there. I went JLT because it was free. JLT makes a good cold air.

Steeda makes a good cold air. Never ran it. Plus it looks good.

Ask you friend if he wants a tune? If he don't want a tune go C&L street with no tune insert. It's the best on the market that does not have to be tuned.

I would buy from Doug @ BamaChips. He can tell you all the in and souts of the CAIs and tunes. 205-302-0231

Last edited:

chad9350

Established Member
C&L Racer vs Steeda comparison

32080690026_large.jpg
C&L racer 95mm over Steeda 90mm

AK Crash

I'm not too happy with my JLT, performance is fine (what can you really expect from a CAI?) but the filter is rubbing on my hood liner. Now there's a spot on my filter that's not oiled and a spot on my liner that's messed up... wtf JLT?

S197GT

Established Member
C&L Racer with a Bamachips SCT tune is the best way to go. It is $50 more than the JLT the last time I check. The C&L is the best CAI on the market IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread