Best Brake Bleeder Kits? Motive Products vs MityVac

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I keep coming back to Motive Products site as the go to for brake bleeding kits. Is there a better solution or product anyone else is using or can recommend?

Last edited:

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Have the motive bleeder also, 4 years. Have a handful of caps for all the cars.

No more having the wife out in the shop standing on the pedal. Don't know if they have a lid for iron master cylinders. Works well, would recommend.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have the Motive as well. I used it when I did the caliper and brake line swap. It works really well.

I also have the Mityvac fluid extractor. The one that hooks up to an air compressor. That one is really nice. You just hook it up to the bleeder valve and let it go. Though once it starts moving you need to keep an eye on the master cylinder level.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Motive as well. I used it when I did the caliper and brake line swap. It works really well.

I also have the Mityvac fluid extractor. The one that hooks up to an air compressor. That one is really nice. You just hook it up to the bleeder valve and let it go. Though once it starts moving you need to keep an eye on the master cylinder level.
I believe you are referring to this MityVac Unit (Link Below) @01yellercobra. Im in limbo between this one or the Motive product. Cant really go wrong with either IMO!

MV7135 Vacuum Brake Bleeder (vacuum or pressure) or​

MV7840 Pressure Brake Bleeder (Just Pressure)​

MityVac Pressure Bleed System MV6840 (Comparable to Motive Product)​

MityVac (Web Site)

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Actually it's this one:

I bought it to change the oil in my boat an noticed it came with an adapter for brake fittings. I tried it on my daughter's car when we had to change a caliper and ended up flushing the system in about 20 minutes. That car didn't have ABS though. So then I tried it on my buddies truck when he replaced the front caliper. Took about 10 minutes, but we let it run longer than needed. His truck has ABS too.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Actually it's this one:

I bought it to change the oil in my boat an noticed it came with an adapter for brake fittings. I tried it on my daughter's car when we had to change a caliper and ended up flushing the system in about 20 minutes. That car didn't have ABS though. So then I tried it on my buddies truck when he replaced the front caliper. Took about 10 minutes, but we let it run longer than needed. His truck has ABS too.
This unit seems to be more universal for alot of different applications. Thanks for sharing....(y). I wonder how well this model would work for draining antifreeze from the coolant system as well.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's probably the only fluid I haven't drained with it. Only because the top doesn't come off so it's hard to clean and I don't want to mix it with the oil so I can drop the oil off at the parts store.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Im still torn between the Motive or the MityVac brake bleeder unit guys.........decisions decisions......hmm. Im thinkin im going to add the unit @01yellercobra uses just for coolant removal too.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Motive is what I have, and like. I use it dry (dont fill tank of pump with fluid). Have a decent selection of caps for different vehicles.
:iagree:

This is exactly what I use and how I use it. Works great.

Dave.O

Established Member
I have always busted used the Russell speed bleeders, never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I heard it can be tricky disconnecting the Motive, when you fill it with brake fluid, because it leaves the master cylinder full to the top when you are done. Is this why you use it dry? Is it inconvenient to keep adding fluid to the master cylinder during the process? Thanks. Actually looking to buy one next week, glad this thread popped up
Motive is what I have, and like. I use it dry (dont fill tank of pump with fluid). Have a decent selection of caps for different vehicles.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I heard it can be tricky disconnecting the Motive, when you fill it with brake fluid, because it leaves the master cylinder full to the top when you are done. Is this why you use it dry? Is it inconvenient to keep adding fluid to the master cylinder during the process? Thanks. Actually looking to buy one next week, glad this thread popped up
I use it dry for the mess factor, but also trying to reduce the brake fluid exposure to air (and absorbing moisture). Most modern master reservoirs are translucent, so I set up a light to make it easier to see the fluid level. I find you might have to de pressure and fill the reservoir 2-3 times. Another thing I do, is before starting, use a turkey baster, and get as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as possible, then top up with fresh fluid. My thought here is then you have less fluid to push through to make things fresh.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
I use it dry for the mess factor, but also trying to reduce the brake fluid exposure to air (and absorbing moisture). Most modern master reservoirs are translucent, so I set up a light to make it easier to see the fluid level. I find you might have to de pressure and fill the reservoir 2-3 times. Another thing I do, is before starting, use a turkey baster, and get as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as possible, then top up with fresh fluid. My thought here is then you have less fluid to push through to make things fresh.
Thanks for sharing all this @specracer .......(y)

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
EXACTLY what I do - works well.

Users who are viewing this thread