best boost option for 99 cobra?

cleohsvt03

Established Member
i recently got back into a 99 cobra. at some point, i want to add a supercharger, or turbo. i did an eaton swap on a previous car when i was much younger, but now im wondering what the best option would be. not looking for a ton of boost. id be fine with 8-10lbs and around 400hp/400trq. what are the best options for easy install, cost efficiency, etc? just looking for opinions. thanks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Stick with a centri. Probably the least amount of work to install. And you can piece a kit together pretty cheap if you look around.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm a Procharger guy. But there's also Paxton and Vortech. Just keep an eye on the market. I believe the kits for the 96-98 Cobras will fit the 99 as well. I think you'd just need a different pipe for the throttle body.

cleohsvt03

Established Member
I'm a Procharger guy. But there's also Paxton and Vortech. Just keep an eye on the market. I believe the kits for the 96-98 Cobras will fit the 99 as well. I think you'd just need a different pipe for the throttle body.

I'm not looking to make a ton of power, just something that's fun to drive and sounds good .. Which option is the cheapest/easiest of that group? Just curious. Just trying to figure out what I want to do exactly.

01yellercobra

Established Member
There really isn't a cheapest. IMO cheap and boost never go together. Easiest used to be the Procharger because it's self contained. But now Vortech and Paxton have self contained versions.

You might want to figure out a budget for this first. Because you also need to upgrade the fuel system as well as the MAF. And you'll probably need better tires. It all adds up.

railroad

Established Member
KB made a kit for the 99 Cobra in the early 2000's.
I put one on mine, which I still own. It pumps about 9lbs of boost and can be varied with an easy pulley swap. The kit was advertised as 460 whp with 93 octane. Mine and several others made 435. Ken, KB chief cook and bottle washer, attributed this to the varied inaccurate cam timing on the engines. The owners car that was used for development, did make the advertised hp.
The kit is well designed, no problems with the installation or even now. It makes great tq from off idle, which is what makes the car fun to drive.
The kit may be a little less in cost now. I think my s/c is a 1.7 liter and was upgraded to a 2.1 as the kits were adapted to 2 and 3 valve motors.
It comes with an intercooler, but does not have fans on it. If I ever pull my front bumper, I will look into this.
These cars computers are not as adaptive as newer engines and the tune is pretty much fixed, except for knock sensors. KB includes the tune. I later installed a J Lund tune, but did not gain anything, other than the hand held tuner. Ken Christley, I think is the developers name, did a great job with the kit.
I have never regretted the choice.

cleohsvt03

Established Member
im aware of the associated costs. i havent really established a budget, as i plan to just work on it over winter and have it ready for spring, regarless of cost. got a great deal on the car overall so have plenty of room to work. just want it to be a nice ride.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The kit is no longer available from KB as Ford no longer makes the needed parts.

Users who are viewing this thread