best blower upgrade with plug and play

s281er238

YELLOW MELLOW
Established Member
who has the best plug and play blower upgrade with little or no mods to the motor . I already have 60 pound injectors and due pumps upgraded with a big mass and tb

this is for my other 04 cobra the red on yellow is up for sale all stock

Whipple
vmp new system

any other thought

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're going to stay with the stock style fuel system I'd stick with the 2.3/2.4 sized blowers. Friend of mine makes 580-590rwhp on a gen 2 Whipple 2.3 on 91 octane.

As for which one works the best, pick which one you like the looks of the best. Performance will be about the same across the board.

s281er238

YELLOW MELLOW
Established Member
I heard about this new vmp
Upgraded blower they have now. I m debating between Whipple and the gen 3 vmp

should I upgrade the pumps to DeatschWerks 03-04 Cobra 340lph And get rid of the pprv

last but not least will that be the best time to replace my valve covers to the Ford rack g blue Since the blower is out of its way or is it still a hassle. I should provenly do the even flo cooking mod as well right since I’m there

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Last time I saw a quote for a ported blower with that cooler thing it was about the same price as a good used 2.3. IMO skip the port.

Pumps and fuel system all depend on power goals and what fuel you're running. Honestly, this has been covered hundreds of times in the this section. You could probably find all the info you need and more in here and in the Talk forum.

It would probably be easiest to swap the valve covers with the blower off.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I heard about this new vmp
Upgraded blower they have now. I m debating between Whipple and the gen 3 vmp

should I upgrade the pumps to DeatschWerks 03-04 Cobra 340lph And get rid of the pprv

last but not least will that be the best time to replace my valve covers to the Ford rack g blue Since the blower is out of its way or is it still a hassle. I should provenly do the even flo cooking mod as well right since I’m there

Stick with a 2.3 Whipple

Been there done it.

68gtscode

Established Member
Long ago I had a Gen 2 Whipple 2.3 installed on my 03. It was a very mild car with stock exhaust manifolds and maintained the returnless fuel system, etc. It had stock manners and made 585rw on 91 and 630 on Sunoco 260GT. This was on AED’s dyno. It was a really nice car for what it was. By today’s standards it would be nothing special. If I bought another 03/04 I’d still want to keep manners a priority but would want to get more if possible with a new blower. I’d probably look at a new generation Whipple 2.9 or the VMP Gen3R. I think you could slow one down to still run well on pump, but make similar power to the Whipple 2.3 on better gas... I never drove my 03 much but remember it seemed slow when I went from “race gas” to pump. You’d also have more room to grow if you wanted to do a full fuel system, etc.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Long ago I had a Gen 2 Whipple 2.3 installed on my 03. It was a very mild car with stock exhaust manifolds and maintained the returnless fuel system, etc. It had stock manners and made 585rw on 91 and 630 on Sunoco 260GT. This was on AED’s dyno. It was a really nice car for what it was. By today’s standards it would be nothing special. If I bought another 03/04 I’d still want to keep manners a priority but would want to get more if possible with a new blower. I’d probably look at a new generation Whipple 2.9 or the VMP Gen3R. I think you could slow one down to still run well on pump, but make similar power to the Whipple 2.3 on better gas... I never drove my 03 much but remember it seemed slow when I went from “race gas” to pump. You’d also have more room to grow if you wanted to do a full fuel system, etc.
My 2.9 made a touch over 600 on 91 at 18psi and 12 degrees of timing. I've since bumped the timing a little and started playing with E85. Once the E85 tune is done I'll start hunting for a dyno to get some more numbers. I can say it doesn't feel lazy to me or anyone that's been in the car.

Users who are viewing this thread