Best Audio System

Tony_Montana87

BANNED!
Hi guys, im currently looking around for the BEST audio system out. I have heard from my cousin that Rockford Fosgate and Pheonix Gold are the best in the market, also JL audio is good i heard from my friends that work in the audio market. Im not to educated with audio system such as speakers, subwoofers, amps, tweeters ect.

But im hoping some one out there on this site is the yoda of audio system. Basicly im looking for a nice system that can bump some serious bass, but at the same time i can turn it up and hear the music not just the bass, i belive thats where the tweeaters and speakers come in. But what about the amps? Do i need 1 for the tweeters and speakers and 1 for the subs? Im looking at about 500-1000 wat subs. Any sugestions? Pics of any nice box's installed in some cars?

By the way sorry for such the long post. And thanks ahead of time for the suggestions and explanations. : )

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
If i had the money:
Focal or MB Quart speakers. Phoenix, JL, or Audiobahn subs. Alpine or Clarion decks. Kicker or Phoenix amps.

Rockford used to be good, about 3 or 4 years ago. Their stuff now is trash comparatively.

You can run a single channel sub-amp and a 4-channel speaker amp, or you can go with one of the newer high-output 5 channel amps.

As far as enclosures go, its up to what room you have to work with, and how much "thump" you want out of the subs.

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
From my experience, for sound quality, Focal Utopias are the best hands down. I was running Focal Utopia 2 ways in the front the 136W ones, and the full range Focals in the back. You don't need quality speakers in the back, the front tweets and mids are where all the $$ is at. I had the Focals running to a X750 Fosgate 4 channel amp, and it just sounded beautiful. For the bass, I had 4 DVC Rockford Power 10" subs in the trunk (I didn't have a spare tire), and those were connected to 2 BD1500 1500 watt amps, on a 15 farad capacitor. My car bumped, but I could crank it up and hear the mids and the highs no problem. I looked around, and I cannot find anything to top the Focal sound. You can try though. I went for both sound quality and SPL, and I had a Eclipse AV8022 DVD deck in my car with a 6 disc in-dash CD Changer. That was in my old GT, and I pulled all that stuff out before I traded my car in. Now that I have my 2003 Cobra Convertible, I am scared to install a quality system in my car for fear that somebody will cut the top out and take everything. So it is all sitting in my closet until I get a car to put it in.

Flooznie

Tang

SLITHR 2
Established Member
Several things determine how your system is going to sound:
1) Your total system budget.
2) What sounds good in one automobile, can sound way different in a different model of automobile.
3) Top of the line subs + mediocre box = crappy sound

If you want a good start on interior component speakers, check out Focal and Dynaudio. If you just want decent component or coaxial speakers, check out MB Quart, Infinity, Boston Pro Series.

I'll cut this post short and skip the headunit/subs/amps recommendations for the time being, as there are quite a few good choices to consider tinkering with.

Just remember, an awesome sounding audio system is rarely put together right the first time. Takes a lot of trial and error/time and patience/money fine tuning them...

GoatDaddy

Originally posted by Flooznie
From my experience, the Waikiki he-shes are the best hands down. I was running one 2 ways in the front, and ran my full length portagee in the back. You don't need quality when the lights are off and you're drunk. But wool-bearing farm animals are where all the $$ is at. I had the sheep running to a X750 Fosgate 4 channel electric fence, and it just worked beautiful. My last girlfriend was really a dude, but I could crank him up and work those thighs no problem. I looked around, and I cannot find anything to top the local boys. So I'm sitting in my closet until I the courage to come out.

Flooznie

Dude, you got issues. The thread was about sound systems, not your personal fetishes. :-D

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
amps

D7%5Famp%5Flarge3%2Ejpg

speakers
hex%5Fmids%5Flarge%2Ejpg

headunit
logo.gif

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
hahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahahah!

OMFG, I laughed for a good 5 minutes when I read my "requote". Thanks for making my day! :)

Flooznie

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
My humble opinion (and I've had all of these)

Tweeters: MB Quart (Q-Series still can not be touched)
Mid-bass: MB Quart (Q-Series still can not be touched)
NOTE: If you don't want separates, go with MB Quart's best set of Co-axials
Amplifiers: Precision Power (always CLEAN, underrated power)
Subs: JL Audio
Head-unit: Alpine/Eclipse

Personally, I would stay as far away from Rockford Fosgate as possible. Tried them once, never again. MB Quart, PPI, JL and Eclipse have done nothing but impress me.

P.S. I don't have a system in my Cobra, but the Mach 460 system already has locations for tweeters and mid-bass drivers, so I say go with MB Quart Q-Series. Be forewarned, the Q-Series components are NOT cheap, but come with an in-line active crossover for each set of components. Here's the system I'm currently planning for my Cobra:

Tweeters: (4) MB Quart QTC 25 (100W RMS @ 4ohm, per speaker)
Mid-bass: (4) MB Quart QWD 160 (80W RMS @ 4ohm, per speaker)
Amplifiers: (2) Precision Power PPI DCX 300.4 (one for the tweets, one for the mid-bass)
Head-unit: (1) Alpine IVA-D900

This system should run about $3500, not including installation.

I haven't decided to include subs because I don't want to add all the weight and fill up my trunk. I'm probably going to put the amps and speakers in stock locations. This is the best system (without a sub or subs) that you could probably buy. It would place well in Car Stereo shows.

Hope this helps :D

Last edited:

RioRed4v

Established Member
Originally posted by notdisturbed
If i had the money:
Focal or MB Quart speakers. Phoenix, JL, or Audiobahn subs. Alpine or Clarion decks. Kicker or Phoenix amps.

Rockford used to be good, about 3 or 4 years ago. Their stuff now is trash comparatively.

You can run a single channel sub-amp and a 4-channel speaker amp, or you can go with one of the newer high-output 5 channel amps.

As far as enclosures go, its up to what room you have to work with, and how much "thump" you want out of the subs.

rockford stuff USED to suck, now its back up to par since they changed engineers and a few other things.

Theres tons of stuff out there. Some of the best subs i've heard recently are from Resonant Engineering. Basically comptetition speakers, but for a really low price.

Amps..well theres tons to choose from.

For a deck, i prefer alpine.

Users who are viewing this thread