Best and cheapest way to quiet down 3" flowmaster catback?

2003SVTCobra

Established Member
:??: I just had a x-pipe and 3" flowmaster catback system installed, and it is way to loud. So what would be the easiest and cheapest way to quiet it down some?
Or would anyone quiet it down? I need some opinions?:shrug:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Potatos :)

Take two very large potatos. Shove each one....

J/K (I know... not helpful) :bash:

Actually, it's probably the Flowmasters that are giving you the most noise so if you can find a high flow aftermarket muffler at a good price and take it to a muffler shop, they could probably cut the flows off and weld some quieter ones on without charging you too much.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: Potatos :)

Originally posted by Elapidae
Actually, it's probably the Flowmasters that are giving you the most noise so if you can find a high flow aftermarket muffler at a good price and take it to a muffler shop, they could probably cut the flows off and weld some quieter ones on without charging you too much.
I put the 2-1/2" Flowmaster catback with two-chambered American Thunder mufflers on my car and it has the stock tone, but is louder. Not obnoxious (doesn't set off car alarms) but a full, deep chambered sound. I would say it is your lack of catalytic converters (or that the 3" system is one chambered :shrug: , I dunno) that makes it too loud...

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I have a full 3" exhaust with catless H-pipe and 2 chamber Flowmasters with 4" tips and I love how loud it is. I don't think it's overpowering. Thats my $.02.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
I have a full 3" exhaust with catless H-pipe and 2 chamber Flowmasters with 4" tips and I love how loud it is. I don't think it's overpowering. Thats my $.02.

Guys,

Where did you get the 3" Flowmaster kit?

93cobra03

Established Member
From what I understand talking to Flowmaster it is only 21/2in. setup and not 3in.
Switch to 3 chamber setup.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Sorry. I didn't mean to confuse you guys. I had mine custom made. The H-pipe is Stainless, the catback is aluminized. But for the price I paid, I couldn't beat it. 400 for all out the door including install from a friend. I even made the 4" tips myself. Used 18" polished stainless steel and a butt-ton of never dull looks good and both tips only cost me $27. I will probably pull it all off in a couple of years after prices come down and go full 3" stainless with Hi-flow cats, or I'll do it when I get the Hooker long tubes.

2003SVTCobra

Established Member
3" Exhaust

I purchased a BBK off-road X-Pipe, which was 21/2 " long and had 3" exhaust welded to the X-pipe. The Flowmasters are 3", and they are loud. I did however, call Terry at South florida pulleys, and he told me that I could go with different tips. like borlas. So that might be the route I might go with. Unless somebody wants to buy mine?

Users who are viewing this thread