Best 9mm ammo?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Just a quickie question to all the firearm enthusiasts in these forums:

For a handgun such as a Glock 17, S&W M&P, Springfield XD9, etc, what is generally the best ammo for each of the following:

1) Plinking / Target
2) Self defense

I've done some research and have my own opinions, but I'd like to hear from the experienced people.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
2) Winchester SXT's. Practically the same thing as the infamous Black Talons and they are a nice substitute if you aren't lucky enough to have the real thing.

Unoid

Established Member
plinking, might as well get cheapest. WOLF.
for slef defense I don't know the best. I just use WWB 115gr hollowpoints.

lilphillysvt

tommyguns
Established Member
for plinking, i buy umc 9mm at dicks, i know it use to be 6 bucks a box if you bought a case, never had a problem with that. i think its around 7 now. wouldnt shoot wolf ammo tho, steel case, does not treat your guns well and has no give like brass case ammo.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Federal Premium Personal Defense.
Always practice with the ammunition you intend to carry in a weapon used for personal defense to be certain that it functions properly 100% of the time especially in an autoloader.

sonblue03

"non SVT owning loser"
Established Member
For any of my 9's (glock 19/26, springfield xd9, beretta 92 etcetc) the Winchester 115 grain full metal jacket works fine (like $16 for a 100 rounds at Walmart) never had a jam...for home I usually keep the magsafe ammo (I keep a .357 for home though, and if you can get through my dogs take whatever).

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I have Winchester silver tipped hollow point in one of mine and Star Fire ammo in my other that I keep ready in different places in my house. My CCW carry gun I use plain Winchester hollow points.

Hey Jshen, Thanks for the heads up on the Georgia Arms ammo.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Speer Gold Dots for self defense. One of the highest rated self defense rounds on the market. Over 95% mass retention after impact/expansion. winchester white box for plinking

Thrust

Established Member
+1 on the Georgia arms ammo. Also, regaurdless of the self defence ammo type that you go with for a 9mm make sure that it is at least +p.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
static velocity? Bending the laws of physics are we? Or am I just out of the loop and thats the name of the product?
static velocity is the a term used to desribe the energy transferred into the wound channel. take a normal 5 cent 9mm round...goes in maybe 4 inches, the wound channel on each side of the wound is about an inch...

a +P+ round goes in, but first opens up like a black talon, as it travels in, the energy tranferred is about 5 inches on either side of the hole, does incredible amounts of damage with less force. the AMA is trying to have this bullet outlawd because of the irreversable damage.

do a search on +P+ rounds and look at the gel bodies

its law enforcement use only

Last edited:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
<--- skooled.

Hmmmm....hafta do more reading on this

I carry 7 rounds of 200gr speer gold dot +p loaded in my glock 36 (subcompact single stack .45 acp for the non-glock'ers). I hope I never ever use it & the biggest issue I ever face is failing magazine springs.

Last edited:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Thanks for all your suggestions. I took notes and will head off to the store later.

Hey jshen, is that Shear Power Plus only available to LEO's? I read some reviews on it and they said the +P+ is for Law Enforcement only. The +P variant seems to be available to the public though.

Users who are viewing this thread