Berkeley removes 20,000 videos from public access over complaint

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
They could afford more educational focused endeavors if they eliminated Play Doh from their safe spaces or just got rid of them entirely.

Blown 89

Established Member
All I needed to see was UC Berkeley to know it was something retarded.

Black2010

Established Member
As someone with profound hearing loss, I can understand the frustration of not having CC available. However, I wouldn't complain myself because more likely whatever it is I want to know/learn, there is a CC option available somewhere or written material to read.

You'd probably know best, but don't they have software programs that automatically do this via voice recognition?

Blown 89

Established Member
Berkeley was just on the opposite side of the story this time lol.
I didn't read the link and relied on your synopsis which left out a few key details. Good for them. It's about time they put some big boy pants on.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
"The Department opened its investigation of UC Berkeley based on a complaint alleging that UC Berkeley’s free, publically available online content is inaccessible to individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing. As part of its investigation, the Department spoke with representatives for the National Association of the Deaf (NAD), the complainant in this matter, as well as Stacy Nowak and Glenn Lockhart, individuals who are deaf and would like to use UC Berkeley’s online content if it were accessible, but who cannot fully use it because it is largely inaccessible. "

These are the douchebags responsible for making sure everyone else stays ignorant because they can't participate....

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
You'd probably know best, but don't they have software programs that automatically do this via voice recognition?

There are gadgets and software out there to assist people with their hearing loss, yes. The issue is some people are hard headed and won't accept what's available to them, unaware and/or it's just too expensive to acquire. The deaf culture has some very interesting people who 100% refuse to use any assistive device because it somehow makes them different...

Myself, I got a cochlear implant in my left ear last year and now I very rarely use CC. I went from a 32% speech recognition to a 97% speech recognition and the difference in clarity/understanding is freaking amazing. I work in IT and we have a daily conference call and prior to the implant, I couldn't understand a damn thing and would have to call in with my cell and use a CC app. Now I can follow along for the most part and respond without someone flagging that it's my turn. I can also watch YouTube vids without CC (as mentioned, insanely horrible at times).

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Just goes to show, liberals are great at spending other's money for their pet projects, but don't hold your breath waiting for them to open their wallets.

Users who are viewing this thread