Bent Wheels????????

a64armt

Established Member
I recently purchased a set of Stock SVT Focus Wheels with snow tires on E-bay. The listing described the wheels as good condition, but with some salt corrosion since they were used as winter wheels.

When the wheels were delivered I was surprised to find that 3 of the 4 were bent. Not what I would call major damage, but bent never-the-less. One was bent on the inside and the other two were bent on the outside.

During my search for FSVT wheels I found many of the sets being sold had bent or damaged wheels. One posting actually said that "if you owned a SVT Focus you probably had wheels bent worse". This puzzled me.

Am I the only SVT owner who hasn't bent any wheels?

Vincent

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I recently purchased a set of Stock SVT Focus Wheels with snow tires on E-bay. The listing described the wheels as good condition, but with some salt corrosion since they were used as winter wheels.

When the wheels were delivered I was surprised to find that 3 of the 4 were bent. Not what I would call major damage, but bent never-the-less. One was bent on the inside and the other two were bent on the outside.

During my search for FSVT wheels I found many of the sets being sold had bent or damaged wheels. One posting actually said that "if you owned a SVT Focus you probably had wheels bent worse". This puzzled me.

Am I the only SVT owner who hasn't bent any wheels?

Vincent

The 5 spokes are the ones that tend to be a problem, I've had 5 spokes and 15 spokes and I did bend two 5 spokes but it was a wicked pavement lip in a construction area that killed mine and even then they were useable as rear wheels.

The 15 and 6 spoke wheels seem to be much stronger.

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
In just over 4 years and 42,000 miles I've managed to bend 2 6-spoke wheels.

Wintertime potholes both times...:cuss:

Fortunately they're reasonably inexpensive to replace from FORDSVTPARTS. Thanks Steve!:beer:

Last edited:

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
Like has been said, the 5 spoke wheels are notorious for being as soft as butter. Roads in the northeast just destroy them. The 6 spokes aren't much better so I've heard. The 15 spokes though are far stronger and can take a hell of a beating.

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
my brother knocked ruined one of the wheels on his SVTF recently. He asked me if I knew where to get a replacement. I told him I could get a discount through a member here. He was in a big hurry and didn't want to wait for me to check into it further, so he just took it to the dealership. He paid full price. It's his money, not mine. :shrug:

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
I'm impatient sometimes, too... At times, I'd rather pay more than inconvenience myself. Maybe you should just give your brother Steve's phone number. LOL

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
i feel your pain, my rims are extremely ****ED! two bents and curb rash, mostly from previous owner, but i did manage about a month ago to back into the tall side of a Granite Curb in Historic Portsmouth, VA.... needless to say i was cussing my self 10 shades of purple!!!! oh well, tax season is approaching. new clutch and rims are in my future

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
The EAP wheels are usually cheaper, too. About $110 a wheel.

CT SVT

Established Member
when tires are low profile all rims are at risk for getting bent. me working at a dealership i see them everyday and mostly on low profile tires. bent rims are cheap to repair. $100 a wheel is what the guy here charges

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
when tires are low profile all rims are at risk for getting bent. me working at a dealership i see them everyday and mostly on low profile tires. bent rims are cheap to repair. $100 a wheel is what the guy here charges

Luckily, or sadly (depending on how you look at it:shrug:), we can get brand new factory wheels for a few bucks more.

Users who are viewing this thread