bent 26 spline

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
Bent my liberty 26 spline input shaft. My question, is the d&d Input shaft stronger than the liberty unit? And also I'm thinking about switching to a rxt setup and have read previous threads with people having issues with the spline length. Any help on this issue would be great! Thanks.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
i read a couple of old threads with people having problems with 26 spline shafts and twin disc clutches. do you know if these problems have been addressed? iirc, the splines on the input shaft were not long enough to engage the 2nd clutch disc.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
D&d here and no problems here. Went with it cause its a one piece and didn't need any shims. Plus it comes in a tremec box

Interesting thread. I just ordered the Tremec 26 spline input shaft from Lethal Performance and they indicated that you may need a shim kit with theirs. But the D&D is also a Tremec part but you don't need a shim kit?

OP what power level you currently at and what clutch are you currently running? Don't read about too many Liberty Gear input shafts breaking. And I remember at one point they sold so many they were on bark order.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Interesting, I've only ever used liberty's input. Never seen one fail yet. How much power are you making?

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I should have worded that different bud, sorry. I should have said I have not seen any let go personally. I have seen post about them breaking though.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
Interesting thread. I just ordered the Tremec 26 spline input shaft from Lethal Performance and they indicated that you may need a shim kit with theirs. But the D&D is also a Tremec part but you don't need a shim kit?

OP what power level you currently at and what clutch are you currently running? Don't read about too many Liberty Gear input shafts breaking. And I remember at one point they sold so many they were on bark order.

i bent mine with a powershift on the street. i broke a halfshaft also and after getting it all back together i noticed a small vibration while driving. so i pulled the tranny and noticed my input shaft was rubbing on the TOB. power is 422 and 440 tq give or take. just ordered the tremec input shaft from lethal, after this goes in no more street powershifts!!

clutch is a spec 3+

Last edited:

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
Interesting, I've only ever used liberty's input. Never seen one fail yet. How much power are you making?

my car is upper only with ftbr kit in the rear, it hooks hard and with aired down 315's it probably wasnt the smartest idea to powershift. i have a feeling the halfshaft breaking was probably the only thing that kept the input shaft from completely shearing off.

Last edited:
i bent mine with a powershift on the street. i broke a halfshaft also and after getting it all back together i noticed a small vibration while driving. so i pulled the tranny and noticed my input shaft was rubbing on the TOB. power is 422 and 440 tq give or take. just ordered the tremec input shaft from lethal, after this goes in no more street powershifts!!

clutch is a spec 3+

Thanks for providing the info. While your power level isn't on the high side, as compared to others, the Spec 3+ is a very aggressive clutch, as you probably know. I think a lot of people don't consider the shock load that very aggressive clutches deliver to the transmission when banging gears or powershifting.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
Thanks for providing the info. While your power level isn't on the high side, as compared to others, the Spec 3+ is a very aggressive clutch, as you probably know. I think a lot of people don't consider the shock load that very aggressive clutches deliver to the transmission when banging gears or powershifting.

I really thought I was going to get some tire spin and pedal out of it. I think the next step will be getting tires with more sidewall to absorb that shock.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I should have worded that different bud, sorry. I should have said I have not seen any let go personally. I have seen post about them breaking though.

Be glad you haven't. I've found it's best to go with a proven product after everyone else has beat the crap out of it. No reason to reinvent the wheel, learn from others mistakes (misfortunes).

xXSnakeBiteXx

Established Member
I bent my d&d but that was back when they manufactured or sourced their own, I only run tremec parts now with no issues. Tick performance is the cheapest I've found them. Funny thing is my old d&d unit appears much beefier but cheap quality and horsepower dont mix.

Suavejav

Need help

Hello everybody out there. I have a question just installed a new rst twin disc on my 2004 cobra. Having a really hard time getting the trans back in. It's like the splines are not catching. When I bought the car it already had a 26 spline input shaft on it. Any advice would be great.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the d&d it came with bearing and no shims were needed.

Users who are viewing this thread