Benefits Of Lower Pulley Swap?

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
In the near future, I'm going to go with the 4 idler pulley swap along with a 2.76. I've read that doing that, along with a 4# lower pulley, can really help your numbers out as well. Why is that? What is the HP/TQ difference in doing that lower pulley swap along with the others? As opposed to just the others? :??:

1bad_stang

*BAR-NONE*
Established Member
I've got a 2.93 w/ a 4# lower and I see 16-17# of boost. I made 483hp/530#tq.:rockon: You will definately need an aftermarket heat exchanger and tune!! If you go w/ the 2.76 and 4# lower you will be over spinning the stock UNPORTED eaton.

Last edited:

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
1bad_stang said:
I've got a 2.93 w/ a 4# lower and I see 16-17# of boost. I made 483hp/530#tq.:rockon: If you go w/ the 2.76 and 4# lower you will be over spinning the stock UNPORTED eaton. You will definately need an aftermarket heat exchanger and tune!!

OK, so 2.93 and the 4# lower seems to be the popular combo.

BTW, those are some killer numbers for an unported Eaton... :eek:

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
Wease said:
In the near future, I'm going to go with the 4 idler pulley swap along with a 2.76. I've read that doing that, along with a 4# lower pulley, can really help your numbers out as well. Why is that? What is the HP/TQ difference in doing that lower pulley swap along with the others? As opposed to just the others? :??:
On a heaton (non-port) I'd just do a 2.76 and idlers and call it good. I ran this combo for a long time and it was great.
For a heaton (ported) the 2.93 - 4# is the sweet spot. A larger lower has more rotating mass which helps out torque. Also increases belt wrap which is a good thing.
Don't do a 2.76 and a 4#!! You will make too much heat and drastly reduce the life of your blower. You have to remember you are forcing something to do what it wasn't designed to do. (JMO):-D

Wease

I Love Beavers
Established Member
newbreed77 said:
On a heaton (non-port) I'd just do a 2.76 and idlers and call it good. I ran this combo for a long time and it was great.
For a heaton (ported) the 2.93 - 4# is the sweet spot. A larger lower has more rotating mass which helps out torque. Also increases belt wrap which is a good thing.
Don't do a 2.76 and a 4#!! You will make too much heat and drastly reduce the life of your blower. You have to remember you are forcing something to do what it wasn't designed to do. (JMO):-D

Excellent info, thank-you very much. I'm not sure if I'll be doing the porting anytime soon, or just save my money for a real blower swap. Thanks again for that reply... :D

viperstang

Established Member
hi hate to jump in on your post but i have a ported eaton 2.8 and a 4lb lower .I am confused because i am not makeing the numbers i should be. I made 465 and 533# torque. I have seen a few ppl use the same combo and they made anywhere from 510 - 550. can anyone tell me if i am crazy or should i find someone new to tune my car?

AllVenom

Established Member
Personally, I like the 2.93/6lb option... More belt wrap and much better seat of the pants feel! Eatons are cheap, who cares if you overspin it. Nothing lasts forever, mine as well enjoy it while you can!

Users who are viewing this thread