Belt walk - bad tensioner?

YGETV8

Established Member
TVS with a 2.8 pulley. Heard some squealing at about 6k rpm and, upon looking underhood, noticed my redfire paint job on the BACK of the pulley was chewed up. The belt walked enough for a rib or two to ride up and over the pulley and rub the back. Tensioner is right in mid range of travel, but I'm thinking it must be weak to allow that to happen...? Bought the tensioner used, so no idea on miles. Thoughts? Need to figure this out as I'm adding a 4lb lower soon when I go E85. Thanks!

cobra-k

Established Member
subbn to this. I have the EXACT same issue i discovered a day ago. Tensioner pulley was riding the backside. it actually left a nice gouge in the plate as well. belts are going rib by rib. i bought a new tensioner waiting for it to arrive to install.

YGETV8

Established Member
On the tensioner pulley? I see rubbing on the back of my supercharger pulley.

cobra-k

Established Member
oh sh!t, i miss read it! im sorry. in a way it still relates, iv been fighting a alignment issue too, i have my belts walking towards the motor shredding ribs too. i can let you know if the new tensioner does anything.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
If it's walking I would think alignment over tension. Tension would cause slipping not so much walking.

If you have a torque wrench you can measure the tension you are getting and compare to another post here where someone laid out the range.

I'll check for it. Did you by chance change alternator or crank pulleys too?

SV

YGETV8

Established Member
I have a few thousand miles on this set up. It is a Metco lower with stock size pulley, all Metco idlers/snub idler, TVS with 2.8 pulley, stock alt pulley. Never noticed this issue before.

Users who are viewing this thread