Belt tensioner?

Terminator03

banned
Alright my dad has been running a 6 lb lower crank pully for a while with no problem. But he never got a new belt, cause there is a belt tensioner on the stock one. Im just wondering why everyone is getting new belts on the 03's when they change their pully? Just to be extra safe? or they were told thats te only way to go? I was told that with the lightning pully change the size is nowhere out of the belt tensioners range. And this shophas done a ton of pullies on saleens, roush, lightning... never needing a new belt and noone having problems.

Anyways, about the lightning pully. Can someone help me out...... Is the actuall size 2.92 or 2.93? I have heard both sizes, Im just wondering which one is right? And if you do go with a new belt the right size to go with the lightning pully is 74.5 correct? and 74 with a 2.80 pully?

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
The lightning pulley is 2.93. I would use the 74.5" belt over the stock because I have heard slipping can occur. And think about it, the stock pulle is 3.65 vs. 2.93. That is a lot of belt area to be lost.

Terminator03

banned
Yeah but what im saying is there is actually a belt tensioner on the stock belt that you can physically adjust to tighten the slack.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Terminator03
Yeah but what im saying is there is actually a belt tensioner on the stock belt that you can physically adjust to tighten the slack.

There is a tensioner but it runs out of travel with the stock belt and the L upper pulley. Some L owners modify the stops on the tensioner to increase its travel BUT the right way to do it for our cars is to just buy the 74.5" belt. I highly recommend the Gatorback Poly-V belt #4080745

Cheers,

Mark

Terminator03

banned
Thanks much Mark... that will save me alot of hassle. I will just order the belt now. Do you now of the best place to order one from?

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Terminator03
Thanks much Mark... that will save me alot of hassle. I will just order the belt now. Do you now of the best place to order one from?

No sorry, I picked mine up locally.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread