Belt tensioner range

VT4ever

Established Member
Hey guys,

So I bought a new belt to end an adventure chasing down a squeak coming from my engine. I bought a 74" gatorback belt since I am running a 2.76" supercharger pulley and a 100mm aux idler, I assumed that 1 piece idler (100mm) is an aux idler on cobrabob's website. All my other pulleys are stock size. I put the belt on and it required A LOT of force to get it on the pulleys. I'm not sure how the range indicator works on the tensioner but I think I have too much tension now. Here is a pic I took of the indicator. Is this normal?

img0540qf.jpg

If anyone is running a 2.76" pulley with an 100mm aux idler, what belt size are you running?

Thanks,
Chris

Quagmire

Established Member
its normal to have to almost break the tensioner to get belt on. AS soon as you go wot the tensioner is gonna move so.

VT4ever

Established Member
This is after driving around town for about 20 mins. I thought the tension indicator is suppose to be to the left a little bit more than what it is.

TorchRedSVT

Established Member
That is about the same spot that my tensioner sits. There have been alot of other threads about this. Here is one from awhile back http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/753798-where-belt-tensioner-supposed-sit.html

Also, when the belt is this tight the easiest way to put it on is to remove the aux. idler from the mount and slide the belt on with the pulley, and then tighten the pulley back down.

Found this one too :http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/engine-tuning-214/485098-tensioner-forces-analyzed.html

Last edited:

VT4ever

Established Member
Yeah I accidentally "notched" the tensioner stop when I was putting the belt on the car:nonono: The stop just snapped right off. From reading the threads you posted TorchRedSVT I think I'm going to stick with the 74 inch belt for now. It'll stretch a little bit in a few days anyways I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread