Belt Tensioner Broke.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
I need some help here guys. Girls do not hesitate to answer if you can help...LOL...

I sheared off the end of the tensioner today on my way to work(see pics). I was hearing a very loud squeal a few months back. It went away after I washed the engine.

I know I was losing boost after 5800 rpm(I could see it on the dyno), and was going to get a new belt. Anyway here is my question.

What size belt do I need I was running a NAPA 080751. I have a 2.80 upper, the BF 92, 2 BF 100's and the very bottom pulley(the 100 in the pic) is a stock one. The bolt would not come out so I left it on. I do not know the size of a stock pulley, is it 100?

where-they-go.jpg

Pics....

normal_GOFO_08_004.jpg

normal_GOFO_08_005.jpg

normal_GOFO_08_007.jpg

Thanks in advance.

VPF

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
that bearing was making noise for about two weeks before it failed on you. you have to listen to your car when its trying to tell you things. seriously.

don't ask the dealer for a cobra tensioner, as you'll end up with a $450 tensioner/idler bridge attached to it. ask for a 2003 Lightning tensioner.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
that bearing was making noise for about two weeks before it failed on you. you have to listen to your car when its trying to tell you things. seriously.

don't ask the dealer for a cobra tensioner, as you'll end up with a $450 tensioner/idler bridge attached to it. ask for a 2003 Lightning tensioner.

Thanks for the input. But you need to re-read what I said. It was making noise and after I cleaned the engine it stopped, two months later this happened.

I ordered a belt tensioner for a 03 COBRA and I got it today, it was $116.00 the only thing I had to do was swap the pulley that it had on it with my old one. The new one was smooth. I also replaced all of the bearing on the other pulleys.

I am going to go with a 4080750 belt and try that first. I have the 751 also.

VPF

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I am going to go with a 4080750 belt and try that first.
That's a good idea so you can remove (notch) the tensioner stop and the smaller belt will fit, you may even be able to get a K080745 on there. This will get you a bit more force on the belt from the tensioner.

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
Works great, sounds even better. Now I want to run it on the DYNO and see if I am getting belt slip over 5500 RPM still.

VPF

Users who are viewing this thread