Belt tension question

blwn89gt

Established Member
I’m getting ready to swap a 3.25” pulley on my car and I have a k080785 belt on it now. I attached a picture of the tensioner indicator. It’s been a while since I dealt with this and normally I had my dad to help me out ever since he passed away I’m out to figure stuff out on my own. If I put more tension on the belt the indicator moves more to the left which would be the middle of the mark. Should I get a shorter belt ? I don’t want to go tooooo tight but I don’t wanna slip it and my cars on a base tune and I haven’t put it under boost so I couldn’t tell you if it’s slipping now.
IMG_4529.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

01yellercobra

Established Member
Ideally the mark should be in the middle. Right at the step between the low and high. From where you're at you'd want a longer belt.

IMO, run what you have. The belt will probably stretch a little.

blwn89gt

Established Member
Ideally the mark should be in the middle. Right at the step between the low and high. From where you're at you'd want a longer belt.

IMO, run what you have. The belt will probably stretch a little.

That’s an older belt, I was gonna swap it out with a regular gates belt from our convo lol

Sent from my iPhone

01yellercobra

Established Member
Oh. Then yeah, slightly longer belt wouldn't hurt things. But you don't want to go much longer. Maybe whatever the next step is from your current belt.

blwn89gt

Established Member
New pulley is on and the existing belt I have it dead nuts where the tensioner should be. I’m gonna order up a new regular belt and just swap it with the alternator. Also swapped out the old Allen socket bolts for some stainless ARP bolts I had.
IMG_4536.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

blwn89gt

Established Member
I figured with the addition of cams and the Kooks LTs I’d go with a 3.25” pulley instead of leaving the 3.50” on it. I got a killer deal on the pulley from a forum member so I couldn’t pass it up.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread