Belt squeak?

pottsy

Established Member
I started my car up this morning and it made an awful screeching noise from the engine, sounded like it was coming from the belt. The noise went away after I drove the car for a few minutes though. I know it isn't the throwout bearing, this was definitely something different--could the belt just be squeaking because of the cold weather? It hasn't done this before and I didn't notice any major cracks on the belt surface. Any ideas would be appreciated as I really don't want to pay a dealer $75 just to tell me what the problem is and then have to pay to get it fixed from there.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
pottsy said:
I started my car up this morning and it made an awful screeching noise from the engine, sounded like it was coming from the belt. The noise went away after I drove the car for a few minutes though. I know it isn't the throwout bearing, this was definitely something different--could the belt just be squeaking because of the cold weather? It hasn't done this before and I didn't notice any major cracks on the belt surface. Any ideas would be appreciated as I really don't want to pay a dealer $75 just to tell me what the problem is and then have to pay to get it fixed from there.

Mine does that, specifically when it has sat for a long time and it is very cold outside. The sound always goes away after about a minute or so, sometimes less sometimes more, and the car drives perfectly fine. It never happens in warm weather. I just attribute it to the cold temperatures and possibly it sitting for so long as I've only driven it maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 6 months. Damn school... :(

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
Mine does that too. Its the belt tensior I believe. Try spraying some WD40 on the belt tensior, and see if it goes away. Mine goes away when I spray it. It is because of the cold weather.

pottsy

Established Member
Tabres said:
Mine does that, specifically when it has sat for a long time and it is very cold outside. The sound always goes away after about a minute or so, sometimes less sometimes more, and the car drives perfectly fine. It never happens in warm weather. I just attribute it to the cold temperatures and possibly it sitting for so long as I've only driven it maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 6 months. Damn school... :(

That's exactly what's happening to me. My car sits for long periods of time because of school and sometimes when I start it up it makes weird noises or starts up kinda rough, but runs great afterwards, and on the occasional weekends when I drive daily it runs perfectly. I'll spray some WD40 on the tensioner and hope it goes away, how much is one to replace (if I have to do so)? Thanks for all the responses.

98Vobra

Established Member
I just put a tensioner on my car and it cost $51.00 for the part and about half an hour to put it on, I have a vortech so it should only take you a few min to put one on.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
98Vobra said:
I just put a tensioner on my car and it cost $51.00 for the part and about half an hour to put it on, I have a vortech so it should only take you a few min to put one on.
lol rub it in that you got a vortech.

:cryying: :p

SNAKEYE

Established Member
JustaGT said:
lol rub it in that you got a vortech.

:cryying: :p
Yeah well, you'd cry a bit if you HAD a Vortech and HAD to change the tensioner pulley, the alternator, the serpentine belt, even the engine oil (if done properly)!
Nothing's simple with that thing squeezed in there. But the horsepower blast more than compensates!

98Vobra

Established Member
SNAKEYE said:
Yeah well, you'd cry a bit if you HAD a Vortech and HAD to change the tensioner pulley, the alternator, the serpentine belt, even the engine oil (if done properly)!
Nothing's simple with that thing squeezed in there. But the horsepower blast more than compensates!

Yea your not kidding it is kind of a pain in the ass. The oil lines for the vortech have to be taken off and the head unit pulled just to put a belt on! But I think it is worth it! :rolling:

CobraKai

Established Member
My belt was doing that, but it seemed to happen more in hot weather. I just replaced the belt with one from Kragen and it never happened again.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
98Vobra said:
Yea your not kidding it is kind of a pain in the ass. The oil lines for the vortech have to be taken off and the head unit pulled just to put a belt on! But I think it is worth it! :rolling:

Oh, I forgot, to get access to the nozzle that injects the oil into the Vortech (which has to be removed to flush out its internal strainer) one has to drain down the coolant and pull the radiator hose off of the crossover tube. Fun, fun, fun! Good thing I only have to do it twice a year.

That's why I bought a Procharger. I really didn't have a supercharger preference when I bought mine. But the ATI was self contained oiling & intercooled & fairly simple to install a belt on.

Users who are viewing this thread