Belt slipping after throttle lift/gear change

ABlownBlueOval

Established Member
Hey guys,

Just purchased a 03 KB Cobra and want to address one issue with the car, which is a belt squeal/yelp. If I lay into the car in 1st or 2nd, when I go to up shift - lift off the throttle - I get a chirp/squeal/yelp for a brief second before I put my foot down again. The previous owner believes that it wasn't the supercharger belt, but the belt that is buried behind/under the main drive belt. Not sure what the name of it is so please answer that for me too. I guess its an accessory belt, but its hard to see what its driving and therefore, I don't know the name. I'd like to replace the belt to stop the squeal, any input or advice is greatly appreciated. I'm new to the Cobra world, but not forums or technical advice, so all are welcome to chime in. Thanks in advance.

ABBO

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
What's the size of the upper/lower pulley? Do you have any idlers? Do you have a dyno graph printout to see if your belt is slipping in high RPMs? Do it do it when you're at a stop and rev to like 4-5k then off the throttle?

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Hey guys,

Just purchased a 03 KB Cobra and want to address one issue with the car, which is a belt squeal/yelp. If I lay into the car in 1st or 2nd, when I go to up shift - lift off the throttle - I get a chirp/squeal/yelp for a brief second before I put my foot down again. The previous owner believes that it wasn't the supercharger belt, but the belt that is buried behind/under the main drive belt. Not sure what the name of it is so please answer that for me too. I guess its an accessory belt, but its hard to see what its driving and therefore, I don't know the name. I'd like to replace the belt to stop the squeal, any input or advice is greatly appreciated. I'm new to the Cobra world, but not forums or technical advice, so all are welcome to chime in. Thanks in advance.

ABBO

I bet the sound is coming from your TOB going out since this happens between shifts.

ABlownBlueOval

Established Member
I don't think its the TOB - sounds too much like a belt slipping, and its definitely not from transmission area of the car. It has something to do with the car unloading after WOT pull in-between shifts or a lift off throttle. It has a 4-piece Metco pulley set - but I don't know the sizes. There are two belts under there, one drives the supercharger and the other is tucked behind what looks like an aluminum bracing or cover? Can anyone tell me the name of this belt, and perhaps a replacement part number? Someone suggested running emery cloth over the back of the belt lightly as sometimes when they glaze over they slip and squeal on the idler.

Any input greatly appreciated.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
Does your car have an aftermarket lower pulley on it? Mine does that too with the lower.. I've learned to live with it, as mine only does it when the engine is cold. Could be your tensioner going out too.

I've always called the inner belt, the inner belt lol.

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
when i had the whipple setup on my car, it would do the same thing.. sounds like you need a tighter belt!! mine needed to be 1/2" shorter to cure the problem..

Users who are viewing this thread