belt slip

badjuicedgt

Established Member
ok so my car has the extra idler pulleys on it, I had it out the other day and was playing around and kept getting the belt slip squeal. Do you guys think its the blower belt or is it the accessories belt. The blower belt is pretty new but the other belt isn't very new, I am guessing that its the accessories belt which looks like its going to be a pain in the arse to change. I guess its a good thing I have all winter to change it which it may take me that long. So is it possible to get belt slippage with the extra idlers, I am on the factory pulley that kenne beel sends out on the 2.6. So what do you guys think

RichM1983

Established Member
I don't have a lot of advice but if your belt is squealing and has been for a bit you should be able to find some black dust around the culprit belt. I've also never heard of the inner belt squealing really on these cars but it is possible for any serpentine belt to squeal. Look for some dust to help narrow it down maybe.

I can say that the inner belt does take some time. I removed the battery and tray, both coolant expansion tanks, the cooling fan and then began removing the blower belt and required accessories to get deeper. The problem is the the lower caged pulley can be a nightmare.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
it hasn't been squealing it just squealed 2 times when I was on it hard the other day and that's it other than those 2 times its never done it before, not even at the track. The car has literally only had 1500 miles put on it in the last year and has had less than 6k miles put on it in the last 6 years. The outer belt looks brand new and the inner belt is showing its age, so I guess I will bite the bullet and switch the inner belt out this winter.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
it hasn't been squealing it just squealed 2 times when I was on it hard the other day and that's it other than those 2 times its never done it before, not even at the track. The car has literally only had 1500 miles put on it in the last year and has had less than 6k miles put on it in the last 6 years. The outer belt looks brand new and the inner belt is showing its age, so I guess I will bite the bullet and switch the inner belt out this winter.

Well the secondary belt doesn't change speed with rpms. Doesn't matter if the blower belt looks new or is for that matter. Do a search on belts, it's a very common problem. I literally have 6-8 belts on my shelf.

Edit: and all those belts I have are used with at most 1,000 miles on each one.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Well the secondary belt doesn't change speed with rpms. Doesn't matter if the blower belt looks new or is for that matter. Do a search on belts, it's a very common problem. I literally have 6-8 belts on my shelf.

Edit: and all those belts I have are used with at most 1,000 miles on each one.

Are you referring to the inner belt when you say it doesnt change speed with rpm??

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Being that there a 2.6 between the heads, I would venture to say it's the blower belt that's slipping. Just went through a belt slip battle with my car. Do you have an accurate boost gauge to read over 15psi? I had to upgrade my tensioner on the blower serpentine system and then get a belt that was about an inch shorter and finally that made the difference and I was able to see full boost to redline. If your inner belt is showing signs of aging then you should upgrade but be ready to go to war. Upgrade to a heavy duty green belt while your in there. Best of luck.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'll switch belts every single time if I can get a 1/4" shorter belt on the car. No matter if I have to change brands of belts either. If it's easy to put on then it's to loose.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I'll switch belts every single time if I can get a 1/4" shorter belt on the car. No matter if I have to change brands of belts either. If it's easy to put on then it's to loose.

I learned that the hard way. Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread