Belt Slip? Bad Pulley?

NastySVT

KindofaBigDeal
Established Member
Ok driving home from work today and decided to give a quick pull on the highway and ran through 3rd. Half way through it felt like i lost power quickly and exhaust sounded off. Almost misfire type feeling. Under normal driving and acceleration everything seems normal. Oil pressure looks good. At WOT my AF gauge was a tad on the rich side even though i know autometer gauges arent completely accurate. I let the car idle when i got home and looked behind the blower where one of the pulleys was squeeking. Noticed some play in the pulley right behind the head unit. Could this cause the problem? Im most likely gonna pull the car in the shop fri and do a compression test to be safe. Could it be out of tune? thanks guys

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Also, check for boost leakage around the mass air meter... if you have an LMAF, the gasket between the tube adaptor that bolts to the MAF is prone to blowing out.

A good sign of belt slippage is black dust all over the place. Check for that, too.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
rub your fingure on the pulley and see if any residue comes up. Check the plugs I had the same problem just a few days ago. On the S/C'ed cars the plugs need to get changed quite frequently. At around 5500rpm my power started to go out and felt like the pulley was slipping. It wasn't and I was having spark blow out. Check the plugs and gap them to .032-0.34. See if the problem goes away, or just buy new plugs and check that way.

Users who are viewing this thread