Belt slip and/or something else? Help!

sushistrip

Established Member
2003 cobra, 23k miles,
jlt cai, magnaflow catback, upr o/r x pipe, sctba2600 maf sensor, 2.81 s/c pulley, 2 aftermarket idlers stock size, bigger belt.

Before the xpipe and before I installed a spec stage 2+ clutch and steel flywheel (never. again. shop recommend steel for whatever reason, should of done more research) she dynoed at 438whp/478whtq at 14 psi.

Just took it back for a retune and she layed down a whopping 414/451....wait, WHAT?!

Rather than write a book about the numbers, here are some pics:

20121026_132108.jpg

20121026_132122.jpg

20121026_132135.jpg

Shop said they were having trouble with belt slip and tire spinning so they had to tie it down quite a bit, which is understandable since it was fairly cold out. This run is making more boost than when I had it first tuned, yet less power? And looking at the psi it's clear that the belt slip was fixed that run. So why am I making such low numbers?!

I also need to note that the car does feel STRONGER than before, which is odd considering the numbers it made. It feels even more torqy and faster at certain speeds. I did notice some belt slip while going up a slight hill in third gear on the highway, I'm thinking this is because of the extra load from going up a hill because I did a few more runs on level ground and no slip. The shop also mentioned something about there was no air correction since the temperature outside was perfect. Also it has a steel flywheel, not aluminum. And it has the boost bypass mod, which the shop checked to make sure the actuator was working and its working perfectly. I honestly think the numbers are because of wheel spin but how then how the hell do these 700 and 800 whp cars throw down the numbers they do?!

Last edited:

jetmech

Established Member
First off I think I would go to a different dyno/tuner for a couple of reasons; 1- If you have wheel spin on a dyno with 414hp then they are'nt strapping it down right or have something on the rollers causing it to slip.You really answered your own question on how do 700+HP cars dyno. 2- looking at the A/F ratio through the RPM you should have it a little richer like 11.6, no leaner. Also remember HP and TQ numbers are just that..Numbers. Every dyno is different and and the weather conditions play a big part as well. So I wouldn't be to worried about those numbers I'd be worried about the A/F numbers.

sushistrip

Established Member
First off I think I would go to a different dyno/tuner for a couple of reasons; 1- If you have wheel spin on a dyno with 414hp then they are'nt strapping it down right or have something on the rollers causing it to slip.You really answered your own question on how do 700+HP cars dyno. 2- looking at the A/F ratio through the RPM you should have it a little richer like 11.6, no leaner. Also remember HP and TQ numbers are just that..Numbers. Every dyno is different and and the weather conditions play a big part as well. So I wouldn't be to worried about those numbers I'd be worried about the A/F numbers.

I mean I honestly don't care too much about the numbers, it's just nice to know what they are. The car feels strong so I'm not worried about what the numbers tell me. I was kind of wondering about those A/F's, I know anything in the 12's is too lean but it seems to keep under that, and I don't do huge pulls in it very often. Also, I am limited to 91 octane where I am, and the 91 that is offered is 10% ethanol. However the shop told me of a store that sells 91 with no ethanol in it and said that would make it run a tad richer, maybe that would provide me with a little more of a safety net?

I honestly haven't been too pleased whenever I take my car here, for many reasons actually, but this is the only shop within like 200 miles so I don't really have a choice. Also their dyno is known to give some fairly low numbers.

jetmech

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and make a road trip to a well respected tuner who is familiar with Terminators.

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Id just get remote tuned by one of the best using datalogs with a wideband. That will save you a long ass drive to someone who isnt as good as who is remote tuning you. Then take it to the track and see how it does.

LeKiD

Established Member
91 w/o ethanol or with does nt change the way to tune , just change the stoich in the tune thats it ...

I tuned some cobra between 425-475hp on 91 , all is in the tune to keep it safe.

Users who are viewing this thread