belt issues

nicoli

Established Member
hey ok my problem that im running into is ive so far snapped two brand new belts since saturday i got the car back friday night from deans performance after getting some front suspension done and have kurgan tune it. i have a 2.8 kenne bell with a 3.5 upper and a metco 4 lb lower with a complete metco idler set. saturday at the half mile shoot out on my last run i snapped the belt clean off. it actually started to rip in another spot, then i replaced it with the same belt and took it out today for a cruise did a few WOT passes and snapped it again. idk what the issue is i dont see any pulleys offset or anything in the way for them to be snapping im thinking i might need maybe a 1/4 bigger of a belt? anyone else run into these kind of issues belt number is a 0797.

04cobradude

Mack Daddy
Established Member
talk to hans.... the only time i have seen belts break or rip is from misalignment (and i remember that you guys had installed the metco pulley upside down and had some issues) or from hitting the rev limiter..

thanks bob

nicoli

Established Member
talk to hans.... the only time i have seen belts break or rip is from misalignment (and i remember that you guys had installed the metco pulley upside down and had some issues) or from hitting the rev limiter..

thanks bob

Yeah he said I had the spacer wrong on it. I've over looked all the idlers and crank and don't see anything misalignment. Other then that the car drive amazing and I'm having zero issues with it thanks for the tune.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
Try a goodyear gatorback . I had belt slip and squel , i have a gatorback now and everything is fine. Never had one snap though .

whitemachine

Established Member
when you put the new belt on check to see if the belt starts shifting on the lower idler next to the metco lower mine did it and i was shredding belts alot so to remedy i actually moved the lower ider to the upper position and put a small spacer behind it the belt size had to go up one but it barely shifts at all on the pulley and runs great no belt shredding at all and ive made a shit ton of pulls with it

nicoli

Established Member
Yeah I have a gates on it now. The lower is on perfectly nothing that's making it look like its walking off. But the brand new alternator took a shit. So now I have to take everything back off and get another alternator.

twcbitten

Established Member
Ive shredded about 7 belts so far (napa micro-V at 25 080797 by gates) :-/ I just installed the division X pulleys and snub idler, went to a 2.75 upper, metco bracket and 4# lower. In an attempt to remedy this issue, Im going to replace the oem tensioner with an aftermarket one. The other day I was under the hood with w/ the car running. When I goosed the throttle, the belt tightened but the tensioner didnt immediately travel with the belt. When it did, it smacked the belt. Im thinking this is knocking the belt out of allignment and... it seems that most of the belts only loose some of the ribs.

Before this, my N2MB WOT was interfering with the ECU. It was evident on the dyno and also the N2MB was causing a "shutdown" at 7K rpm. This abrupt shut down was causing the belts to shred.... The N2MB had no issues untill after the fuel system install and injector driver install....

I have no answers yet, need to solve my belt shredding b4 i can work with the N2MB wot....

Users who are viewing this thread