belt install help

bhollie

Established Member
well, i finally shredded a belt, it as easy to get off for sure, just redline it in first with an old belt, add some belt slip and BAM!!! LOL
i know this is not this difficult, but im having trouble getting it on. it had a 79" gates belt so thats what i got to replace it and it seems pretty tight.
i have the following mods that may be the reason its more difficult than usual. They were on the car when i bought it and this is the first belt replacement.

2.80 upper
metco 4lb. lower pulley.
metco 100mm idler/tensioner
2-stock idlers

ALA G8R

Banned
Remove the aux idler pulley. Then install the belt as normal. After the belt is installed, crank on the tensioner and slip the aux idler back on its shaft. You're done.

bhollie

Established Member
thanks for the tip

it looks like the pulley wont come off by just removing the bolt, there is a large e-clip on the bearing that looks like it would release it but im not sure, would it be easier to just take off the whole bracket????

o3redfire

Established Member
No need to worry about that clip, that will not release your tensioner pulley, I tapped on the back of my pulley very gently with a hammer, put a cloth on the back of your pulley so you wont mess it up. This should loosen it up enough to get it off. After you get it off put on your belt, then put your tensioner pulley back on.

dougwg

Established Member
ALA G8R and o3redfire are correct...

remove the bolt... remove the idler then follow ALA G8R's install

Users who are viewing this thread