belt chirping

luvgun74

Established Member
i put on a vmp 2.7 pulley and now in cold temp days i get a chirping until the engine warms up. would this be due to not having an aftermarket idler tensioner? thanks in advance.

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
I would believe so....that's why a an idler is included when you buy as a kit. The belt does not have enough tension. You either need VMP idler or Metco idler and that should solve your problem. Do you lose some boost when you get on throttle? Would be due to belt slippage because it's not tight enough.

luvgun74

Established Member
I would believe so....that's why a an idler is included when you buy as a kit. The belt does not have enough tension. You either need VMP idler or Metco idler and that should solve your problem. Do you lose some boost when you get on throttle? Would be due to belt slippage because it's not tight enough.

as a matter of a fact yes i do! I noticed when in 3rd and i get on it it was bogging. Thanks for the tips, guess thats next on my list of things. :banana:

69b302

Established Member
I would check your pulley alignment. Chirps at idle are generally the edge of the belt rubbing one of the idler pulley lips. When I installed my TVS 2.65 pulley, I checked the pulley offset, compared to the original and it was not the same. The TVS and stock SC use a slightly different offset, and the pulley I received was right in between the two. I guess somebody was trying to make a pulley that would work for both:( I had the 2.65 line up with the stock SC and stock TVS pullies and the difference was obvious.

lawdude

Established Member
I have "chirp". I found out by watching the following video:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9qMtVVLXeY"]YouTube- DAYCO - SOLUTIONS TO BELT CHIRP[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread