belt burning/smoking, what's going on here

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
So I recently purchased a new belt, same size as the previous (I believe it was 76.5) as the previous one was wore out and squeeking. This belt since install, I notice a burning rubber smell from time to time, didn't think too much of it until now. This morning on my way to work I stopped at a light and white smoke started coming from the vents, smelled like burning rubber. After that I didn't notice anymore smoke or smell. Took the car to pick up breakfast an hour later and noticed the burning rubber smell again as I locked the car (put nose by vents).

I am thinking the obvious issue here is the belt is too tight? It looks like it is on the pulley's just fine. I am not sure so I figured I would get some suggestions from the board.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
if the belt was too tight you usually cant even get it on...id vote for its dragging on something or a pulley is hanging up

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
I will check the pulleys tonight. I believe they felt fine when I changed the belt. If one is a little hung up, is there anything I can do other than replace?

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
Take the belt off and spin all the idlers. Make sure you check the tensioner good too. My tensioner bent and the idler started cutting right through the bolt from a shot bearing. Smoked and made god awful noise.

Do you have any noise?

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
I had a squeek the other day on start up but after a few minutes it went away. The previous belt started squeeking a bit, then progressively got worse and that's when I trashed and replaced. I thought maybe it was squeeking because of moisture, but clearly something is not right here as the belt is a month old at most...plus I hardly drive the car.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
My tensioner pulley did the same thing. Made a little noise when cold then went away. I'd just take the belt off and spin them all. I replaced all my idlers with billetflow idlers. If yours are stock and you find ones bad let me know. I have some good condition stockers you can have for free.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
My tensioner pulley did the same thing. Made a little noise when cold then went away. I'd just take the belt off and spin them all. I replaced all my idlers with billetflow idlers. If yours are stock and you find ones bad let me know. I have some good condition stockers you can have for free.

You're a good man for offering the stockers up for free! I actually have all metco idler's. I have checked the fan, no clearance issues or anything. I'm certain it's the belt, just not sure what the cause is. I will have to take the belt off and check all of the pulley's again :shrug:

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
You're a good man for offering the stockers up for free! I actually have all metco idler's. I have checked the fan, no clearance issues or anything. I'm certain it's the belt, just not sure what the cause is. I will have to take the belt off and check all of the pulley's again :shrug:

I have no use for them and if I could help you out in a bind what the hell. Lol what type of belt did you put on?

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
Gates...the green hash marks and white lettering was gone in a week. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Seems like it's getting beat from the outer portion rather than the inner portion. This is very strange to me as everything looks and seems fine. Car has 18K on the clock and those pulleys have maybe 8k or so. You could eat off my engine bay.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
My car just did the same thing scared the crap out of me coming home from work this morning I have Metco idlers, what can cause this? I thought I was stranded belt shredded.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
did you install it properly

Are you referring to the idlers? they where on when I bought the car, according to the previous owner never had this belt issue. We thought originally that it was caused by a new UPR billet tensioner he mounted a week before I purchased the car.
I replaced with the original stock tensioner, was good for a few miles and noticed it stripped a little of the front edge of the belt, but it worked fine for about 300 miles this way.
Are these idlers suppose to be shimmed in any way? something is not aligned? the previous owner did have motoblue idlers before and replaced with metco, but it still has the motoblue brackets or brace not sure what they are called?

Op not trying to jack your thread buddy, just don't want somebody jumping on saying do a search! I am sure others have had this problem. hope we can help each other and figure this out?

Users who are viewing this thread