Bell housing stuck

spike31460

Established Member
I started to dismantle the Cobra to replace the clutch today. I thought it a little odd that no where in the manual did they elude to removing the starter. I've checked and double checked, and the thing is still stuck. The pry bar will move it so far and then stop. I think the only thing that could be holding it is the cable to the starter. Tomorrow I'll remove the starter just as I always have........Hope this is the Prob.........Any insight or advice would surely be appreciated.........Spike........:shrug: Thanks, Guys....

scjmach1

Established Member
Yes you do need to remove the starter. Some of the bolts are hard to get to but I used a small socket on a long extension. You can get to them from the front of the engine behind the A/C compressor.

spike31460

Established Member
Thanks, man, I had never done it before without taking the starter off
first. When it had not said anything about it in the mustang manual it sort of threw me. I'm always glad to take a shortcut to getting something done as long as it doesn't compromise the final result.

Once again thanks, .........Spike........

SNK BITN

Established Member
If hes talking about the 95 cobra, he doesnt need a long extension to get the starter bolts. They are much easier to take out than in the DOHC's.

spike31460

Established Member
Yes the starter bolts were a piece of cake on the '95. Just reach up around the A frame. Am well on my way to burnoutsville, just have to wait for the flywheel inspection, and the King clutch to arrive......Thanks for all of the help..........Spike........

P.S. Is it a good idea to have the flywheel turned?

Last edited:

scjmach1

Established Member
I did not notice that you had a 5.0 when I replied. The starter still had to come off but it is much easier to remove than on the 4.6.
It is a good idea to have the flywheel surfaced if it has any hot spots. These will look discolored an cause the clutch to chatter.
Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread