Being pulled over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineonesix

Established Member
Well me and my friends were coming back from the movies, and heading to get some taco bell. There was 3 people in the back and 2 up front (including driver). The driver asks us if there was a cop behind us, so me and another person from the back look back. We all had our seat belts on and were doing the speed limit. So taco bell is coming up and we get over into the right lane (the blinker was used). However the cop decided to pull us over. He came up never once announced his name or the reason why we were pulled over in the first place. He came to the 3 guys in the back (me being one of them) asked for id's and asked where we were heading. (Like its really any of his business?) We told him we were coming from the movies (eagle eye), and him just kinda brushing the guy telling him all this off. So after he asks us if we have any warrants and such he leaves to run our ids naturally. Comes back, hands us our id's and tells us to have a nice night. I got his car number, because quite frankly I felt the whole situation was wrong, and that he never explained his reasoning behind pulling us over in the first place. So I was wondering if I could file a complaint against him. Surely they cant just pull people over on a whim.... or can they?

So please enlighten me on the matter. I plan on calling in the complaint tomorrow morning, I just want to know if im in the wrong or right on this.

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
The driver should have asked why you got pulled over if you honestly didnt know, If he didnt ask during the stop. Different agencys will justify different reasons for traffic stops. He may use the `suspicious activity` reason for the stop. If you want to file a complaint then go ahead but in my opinion if he wasnt overly rude or way out of line i doubt a simple 'He pulled us over for no reason' complaint will go anywhere.

Spade

Established Member
It seems as if you do not like the police. Did anyone ask why you were pulled over? And just to make you aware, it is his business.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Lol dont waste your time, it's not going to do anything. He could have thought there were underage people in the car and wanted to check (IMO) Ive been pulled over for no reason and they did a sobriety check on me. Haha, seriously for no reason. I was pulling into a turn lane (he was in a parking lot across from me) and he pulled behind me and lit me up. I was like wtf? But your going to get it every once in a while so dont sweat .

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Well me and my friends were coming back from the movies, and heading to get some taco bell. There was 3 people in the back and 2 up front (including driver). The driver asks us if there was a cop behind us, so me and another person from the back look back. We all had our seat belts on and were doing the speed limit. So taco bell is coming up and we get over into the right lane (the blinker was used). However the cop decided to pull us over. He came up never once announced his name or the reason why we were pulled over in the first place. He came to the 3 guys in the back (me being one of them) asked for id's and asked where we were heading. (Like its really any of his business?) We told him we were coming from the movies (eagle eye), and him just kinda brushing the guy telling him all this off. So after he asks us if we have any warrants and such he leaves to run our ids naturally. Comes back, hands us our id's and tells us to have a nice night. I got his car number, because quite frankly I felt the whole situation was wrong, and that he never explained his reasoning behind pulling us over in the first place. So I was wondering if I could file a complaint against him. Surely they cant just pull people over on a whim.... or can they?

So please enlighten me on the matter. I plan on calling in the complaint tomorrow morning, I just want to know if im in the wrong or right on this.

I am willing to bet you are under 20 years old. The officer does not have to announce his name, nor does he have to immediately tell you why you are being stopped.

What will be the basis for your complaint?

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Nineonesix

Established Member
It seems as if you do not like the police. Did anyone ask why you were pulled over? And just to make you aware, it is his business.

I am willing to bet you are under 20 years old. The officer does not have to announce his name, nor does he have to immediately tell you why you are being stopped.

What will be the basis for your complaint?

I don't hate the cops at all. Also, yes I am 19 years old, but not once did I seem to be arrogant, or knew I had all the fact (or tried to not). Thus why the reason I posted here in the first place.

I just find it unsettling a cop can pull anyone over without reason or just being suspicious. So he doesn't immediately have to tell you why he is pulling you over? Does he eventually during the stopping process? I do agree the driver should have asked and I tried to tell her to ask, but for someone reason everyone was all scared. Which they shouldn't be I don't understand why people are afraid of cops.

So at any moment a cop can pull someone over, not tell them why or his name, asked for id, insurance, and reg. Leave, and comeback hand back all the paper and tell the driver to have a good day after wasting 20minutes of the drivers time?

Not once was I rude in posting this, so i'd appreciate the sarcasm be left out. Thanks.

*edit* Also, no I dont think its the officers business to know where I am going. This is a free country last I checked right? I mean am I going to have to start filling out driving destinations and have it approved before hand? The driver has been pulled over before just because the cop thought it was necessary to tell her, she was in a dangerous place. She was leaving work.

Like I said I dont hate cops for just being cops not at all. In fact I plan on being a cop within the next two years. Once I get my knee problem sorted. I do however believe just because you are a cop, doesn't give you the right to disrespect anyone or abuse power in anyway, shape, or form.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I don't hate the cops at all. Also, yes I am 19 years old, but not once did I seem to be arrogant, or knew I had all the fact (or tried to not). Thus why the reason I posted here in the first place.

That is your opinion of your post. Apparently not everyone shares your self-assessment.

Nineonesix said:
I just find it unsettling a cop can pull anyone over without reason or just being suspicious. So he doesn't immediately have to tell you why he is pulling you over? Does he eventually during the stopping process? I do agree the driver should have asked and I tried to tell her to ask, but for someone reason everyone was all scared. Which they shouldn't be I don't understand why people are afraid of cops.

I find it unsettling that you take a single account of a person, who benefits from slanting the story, and that is the only fact you really on for your evaluation of the situation. Not once was it stated that the officer didnt have a reason or suspicion. As I stated, being in a drug laden area or one that has a high crime area and doing an act that is out of the norm for the area, gives rise to reasonable suspicion under Terry. If you wish to know why you are being stopped, you can ask. If the officer doesnt provide an answer, your next statement should be: "than I am free to go."

Nineonesix said:
So at any moment a cop can pull someone over, not tell them why or his name, asked for id, insurance, and reg. Leave, and comeback hand back all the paper and tell the driver to have a good day after wasting 20minutes of the drivers time?

A police officer can initiate a traffic stop for numerous reasons. Why would it be so important for him to introduce himself personally when all uniformed officers have a badge with number and a name plate? If you have questions when being stopped, simply ask the officer.

Nineonesix said:
Not once was I rude in posting this, so i'd appreciate the sarcasm be left out. Thanks.

As with your self assessment of your own level of arrogance, I was not being sarcastic, simply stating facts.

Nineonesix said:
*edit* Also, no I dont think its the officers business to know where I am going. This is a free country last I checked right? I mean am I going to have to start filling out driving destinations and have it approved before hand? The driver has been pulled over before just because the cop thought it was necessary to tell her, she was in a dangerous place. She was leaving work.

The United States Supreme Court disagrees with you on this point. They say it is part of a routine police encounter to know the person's reason for being in the area and where they may be going or coming from. While this is a relatively free country, we live by a set of general rules that are enforced by those sworn to do so.

Nineonesix said:
Like I said I dont hate cops for just being cops not at all. In fact I plan on being a cop within the next two years. Once I get my knee problem sorted. I do however believe just because you are a cop, doesn't give you the right to disrespect anyone or abuse power in anyway, shape, or form.

You should do more research into the profession, as you have made numerous erroneous assumptions regarding the profession. Your understanding of police procedure and protocol is clearly lacking.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Also, yes I am 19 years old,

Yup, this is probably why you were stopped, especially if it was at night. Not saying it's right or wrong, but a car full of teenagers is enough to raise suspicion.

Happened to me all the time when I was that age, but when I grew up and started to look older, it stopped. Such is life.

Nineonesix

Established Member
That is your opinion of your post. Apparently not everyone shares your self-assessment.

How ever you took it, is the way you took it. I simply asked a question, that I tried to keep civil and respectful. Not once did I slander or used any degoratory (sp?) remarks about the leo himself. Nor did I say he was a horrible person or anything about his profession that would lead anyone to think of me as such.

I find it unsettling that you take a single account of a person, who benefits from slanting the story, and that is the only fact you really on for your evaluation of the situation. Not once was it stated that the officer didnt have a reason or suspicion. As I stated, being in a drug laden area or one that has a high crime area and doing an act that is out of the norm for the area, gives rise to reasonable suspicion under Terry. If you wish to know why you are being stopped, you can ask. If the officer doesnt provide an answer, your next statement should be: "than I am free to go."

We did nothing out of the ordinary. We had a car full of people in a relativly high traffic area right next to a freeway. All I am asking is that when being pulled over do we or do we not have the right to know what we are potientially being accused of. Without asking or not.

A police officer can initiate a traffic stop for numerous reasons. Why would it be so important for him to introduce himself personally when all uniformed officers have a badge with number and a name plate? If you have questions when being stopped, simply ask the officer.

Honestly at 11:30 at night and some people having bad eye sight, name tags are not always easy to read. Nor are number on a badge. I would figure its common courtesy to reveal your name. Or is that a big secret? Yes, a cop can stop someone for numerous reasons, I just wish they would have to tell the person what they are being accused of to initiate the stop to begin with.

I do agree she/we should have asked. Im not trying to get the guys number to call him for a date. How do you expect me to respect you if you dont even want to acknowledge yourself to me? Or am I just suppose to respect the uniform? Im sorry just because you wear one does not put you above me or below me.

As with your self assessment of your own level of arrogance, I was not being sarcastic, simply stating facts.

I took that as un needed sarcasm. Since the smilely might as well say :sarcasm:

The United States Supreme Court disagrees with you on this point. They say it is part of a routine police encounter to know the person's reason for being in the area and where they may be going or coming from. While this is a relatively free country, we live by a set of general rules that are enforced by those sworn to do so.

I do understand there are laws to abide. What does it really prove to know where im going or coming from. If I was coming from a crack house would I really tell you anyway?

You should do more research into the profession, as you have made numerous erroneous assumptions regarding the profession. Your understanding of police procedure and protocol is clearly lacking.

I never once assumed I knew exactly what I was talking about. Everything I have mention I thought came across as opinon. Clearly if I knew the police procedure and protocol I wouldnt be asking this question here. Also do need to do more research clearly, that is why you are taught these things.

Nineonesix

Established Member
They are looking for other things too while communicating with you. It's 1% what you say, and 99% how you say it.

Thats the whole thing. Other then asking where we came from, and our id's he said nothing. When we even told him what movie and a little about it (eagle eye btw lol), he just stood there while writing down my g/f's name. Saying "Yea, uh huh, never heard of it before. Take a seat back in the car please."

I've dealt with cops before when I got into my accident. The guy approached me, and said his name. We even talked for a bit. Again im not saying we should exchange number and text each other all night long. Cooperation from both sides makes things go by extremely faster. Walking up to me and assuming im hostile and not acting like a decent person will ultimately get the same response from me. If you walk up and approach me in a frendly matter, again itll be the same way I respond. (This is a more general feeling then just that night alone)

Last edited:

CSD

Banned
I can see how this clears things up for me. Thank you for your well put and thought out opinion.

What is there to clear up??

You were a passenger in a vehicle that was stopped by a police officer and let go with a warning. What is the problem here??

FordSVTFan

Established Member
How ever you took it, is the way you took it. I simply asked a question, that I tried to keep civil and respectful. Not once did I slander or used any degoratory (sp?) remarks about the leo himself. Nor did I say he was a horrible person or anything about his profession that would lead anyone to think of me as such.

:shrug:

Nineonesix said:
We did nothing out of the ordinary. We had a car full of people in a relativly high traffic area right next to a freeway. All I am asking is that when being pulled over do we or do we not have the right to know what we are potientially being accused of. Without asking or not.

You did nothing out of the ordinary for a layperson without L.E. training and without knowledge or any current reports, operations, or BOLOs.

A traffic stop is not an accusation. A summons is an accusation. When being accused of something, you have the right to know and that would be listed directly on the summons, usually spelled out and via the section of code violated. A traffic stop is investigatory in nature. Sometimes the driver is immediately told other times not. Had you been pulled over on an outstanding warrant, you wouldnt have been told until confirmed and you are cuffed and secured. Too many variables and too many situations to describe. Rest assured, had you been accused of something, you would have been told either via summons or via booking slip.

Nineonesix said:
Honestly at 11:30 at night and some people having bad eye sight, name tags are not always easy to read. Nor are number on a badge. I would figure its common courtesy to reveal your name. Or is that a big secret? Yes, a cop can stop someone for numerous reasons, I just wish they would have to tell the person what they are being accused of to initiate the stop to begin with.

It isnt a big secret, that is why there is a name plate on the officers chest. If you wish to know, you could ask. Again, a traffic stop is investigatory in nature not accusatory.

Nineonesix said:
I do agree she/we should have asked. Im not trying to get the guys number to call him for a date. How do you expect me to respect you if you dont even want to acknowledge yourself to me? Or am I just suppose to respect the uniform? Im sorry just because you wear one does not put you above me or below me.

The Court has held that the uniform and the marked vehicle are descriptive enough and that you have the right to ask questions. If you choose not to ask questions, you hardly have the right to be upset because the officer couldnt read your mind and immediately volunteer the information you wanted to know, yet were too meek to ask. Respect the officer, dont respect the officer, that is up to you. We could care less. If you impede our duties, then there is a problem.

Nineonesix said:
I took that as un needed sarcasm. Since the smilely might as well say :sarcasm:

:bored:

Nineonesix said:
I do understand there are laws to abide. What does it really prove to know where im going or coming from. If I was coming from a crack house would I really tell you anyway?

A traffic stop is investigatory in nature. Officers will often ask questions they know the answers to in order to evaluate your credibility and honesty. Also, to compare with the answers of others in the vehicle. I know this seems clear cut to you, but there are many answers for the things L.E.O.s do that look strange to the layperson, while another L.E.O. could give ten reasonable explanations for the happening.

Nineonesix said:
I never once assumed I knew exactly what I was talking about. Everything I have mention I thought came across as opinon. Clearly if I knew the police procedure and protocol I wouldnt be asking this question here. Also I do need to do more research clearly, that is why you are taught these things.

Indeed.

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
What is there to clear up??

You were a passenger in a vehicle that was stopped by a police officer and let go with a warning. What is the problem here??
May be I missed it, but I didn't read where the OP said they got let go with a warning. Interesting, are you an LEO? If so, for how long have you been one?

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
You seem like quite a prejudice person. I still do not see where the OP said they did anything wrong where the LEO gave them a warning to that affect. May be it's best you work at a car wash. You don't seem to like people.

take a joke... :bored:

Seeing as the OP is 19 I can see why he felt "victimized" by a LEO. at that age, I thought everyone was out to get me. Couldn't legally drink, had as much game as a Steve Urkel... to each his own.

Get over it. You got off with a warning. You probably won't be so lucky next time.

You're from Sacramento too I see... this might explain a lot. :burn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread