Before Purchasing a 2013 Mustang GT

Vanilla Mustang

Established Member
Hi -

I am looking at a 2013 Mustang to add to the collection and I have a couple questions.

I notice there is a lot of wear on the shift knob (AUTOMATIC). The chrome paint is all worn down down on the center strip - is this normal?

The car has an x-pipe without cats. It does have a tune and no check engine light. Is this anything to be concerned about? Could it be messing with anything prematurely?

It has a tune (as mentioned). The car seemed to not want to shift to the next gear when I was rolling at about 25mph. It held a high RPM. Could this be a shift setting from the tune - or a possible tranny issue?

That is all for now - anything else I should look out for?

Vanilla Mustang

Established Member
He wants 21k but I am thinking 16k. Tuned by american muscle - I called them and they found the tune, it is set with the right parts.

Any one of those reasons in particular why you would pass? One more than the other?

noldevin

Established Member
He wants 21k but I am thinking 16k. Tuned by american muscle - I called them and they found the tune, it is set with the right parts.

Any one of those reasons in particular why you would pass? One more than the other?
16k is much too low for a coyote unless it has a ton of miles, a bad title, or severe issues.
I am left wondering how you wear the paint out on an automatic shifter though

nate714

Established Member
I wouldn't trust it. People who buy all their parts and tune from A.M. are usually too lazy to do their homework and shop around, plus the wearing on the autoshift makes me think the person was trying to bang on it and treat it like a manual, probably holding gears and revving out a lot longer than most autos are subjected to on a regular basis.

I have a friend with a 2013 auto who drives in S all the time and he actually wore out the contacts behind the shift buttons and had to get the shifter replaced by ford.

16k is too low of an offer, but if you can get it for under 20k then you could look passed the shady bits lol.

Vanilla Mustang

Established Member
I was thinking the same thing about banging around in S all day. not a pleasant thought.

What is odd, is that the KBB value is coming in around 19k - so even with the cars on the market going for more, I dont really feel comfortable paying 'full price' on a car that might come down in a year.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So, OP, did you buy it?

I wouldn't worry about the shift knob. A lot of people rest their hands on it while they drive, the oils and whatever on people's hands tend to wear the plastic on them.

Being an automatic, I'm sure the tune adjusted the shift points, at 25mph you're probably just at the high end of the gear.

I wouldn't sweat it.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
^This. I don't "bang" my shifter around (not sure how that's possible since you grip it to tap up or tap downshift). Move is a 14 and that center piece started to get a small wear mark but I rest my hand on it. Easy fix: painted to match the car and it looks 10x's better.
Also the comment on ppl who buy their parts from AM are too lazy to do their own work....stupidity. I've been buying from them since 04 or 05 and do ALL my own work.

nate714

Established Member
I buy from AM too but I wouldn't touch their tunes! And if I wanted something crucial I wouldn't buy any of the A.M. house brands like SR or Raxiom

Naturesmistake

Established Member
Eh, I sense some tire kicking here. 16k is really low for that car unless it's a salvage. Also, as said, these cars have a select shift button and there is no "banging around" anything. I do not for forsee a 3k drop in a few months going by the historical value of these things.

Users who are viewing this thread