Beer Lovers

1993R

Established Member
saw this and thought I would pass it along:

BrewDog | Blog

Scottish brewer sets record by making world's strongest beer at 32%

Nov 26 2009

A SCOTTISH brewery has set a new world record by producing the strongest beer ever made.

BrewDog, based in Fraserburgh, today launched their new "Tactical Nuclear Penguin" beer.

At 32 per cent by volume, the beer is one per cent stronger than the existing strongest beer in the world, brewed by German brewery Schorschbraer.

BrewDog is producing only 500 bottles of the new super-strength ale with half to be sold at £30 each and the rest retailing at £250 per bottle.

The profits from the brew will go towards BrewDog's plans to build a carbon neutral brwery in Aberdeen.

James Watt, MD of BrewDog, said: "This beer is about pushing the boundaries. It is about taking innovation in beer to a whole new level. It is about achieving something which has never before been done and putting Scotland firmly on the map for progressive, craft beers."

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
Wonder what it taste like, the stongest beer I ever had was like 17% or there about.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Wow 32%. I think the strongest I've had before was 15% brewed by a local brewery. Does any one know how strong Guiness is in Europe? Coming back to the US from Iraq we stopped at Ireland and I had one there. It sure felt stronger than what we have here but that could have been because it was the first taste of alcohol I had had in 12 months.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I've had Sam Adams Utopias....26% IIRC. It's good - very strong, but it overpowered the beer taste that I was looking for. Certainly a beer that is sipped. I'm sure this would be similar. BrewDog has some good brews (the two that I've tried)

I believe DogFish Head's founder, Sam Calagione stated something to the effect of that he makes the strongest beer that actually tastes like beer.

Salute:beer:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I drank a winter brew german beer once that was 14%, tasted like total shit.

IMO, you typically need to acquire a taste for beers with higher ABVs.

I bet it tastes like absolute crap. The Scots CANNOT brew a beer to save their lives.

You've probably never had BrewDog beers before. Is it possible that you're used to the weak-flavored American-style Pils & lagers? Just wondering where your coming from.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I wonder how the yeast that makes this brew survives?

I'm a home brewer, and to produce beers of over 9 percent, we have to use champagne yeast.

FWIW...

Dane

Established Member
I would like to try it, get a buzz quicker without having to drink so much and feel like a fat ass.

Users who are viewing this thread