Been to Camp Bastion? Step inside please...

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
My son returned from Iraq a few months ago and soon he'll be heading to Camp Bastion in Afghanistan. He's a port dawg (2T2) and will have SrA on by the time he hits the ramp. Just wondering if anyone has been there recently and can shed some light on this chunk of desert in the middle of nowhere. I've already read through most of the stuff I can find on-line, but a lot of that is out of date. Lookin' for info on internet access, facilities available, etc.

Thanks.

U.M.

IYAAYAS!

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
My son returned from Iraq a few months ago and soon he'll be heading to Camp Bastion in Afghanistan. He's a port dawg (2T2) and will have SrA on by the time he hits the ramp. Just wondering if anyone has been there recently and can shed some light on this chunk of desert in the middle of nowhere. I've already read through most of the stuff I can find on-line, but a lot of that is out of date. Lookin' for info on internet access, facilities available, etc.

Thanks.

U.M.

IYAAYAS!

Here right now. It isn't camp cupcake Iraq, but its good enough. Live in Tents, but the a/c works most of the time. There are two internet centers (but its a long wait and you got 30 minutes). If he has his own computer I think they can hook up the wifi access to the tents. I can never make it to the internet centers though. Just don't have the time. Not sure how employed he will be or not. Luckily I am able to get on SVTP at the work computer, and yahoo email works on it too. Exchange sucks, its far away from where I live and usually the only things they have are a line that goes out to the door. Good shit usually sells out quick. Been to the exchange once and that was enough because its a pain in the ass. Care packages are key here. I told folks if I never have to go to the exchange that would be great. As far as connectivity to the outside world, be prepared for a lot of "river city" unfortunately, because the shit head Taliban are getting a guy or two a day lately. So basically, this isn't your typical gucci fob, but it aint horrible either. Could be a lot worse. It's starting to grow on me. Lot better than what the grunts got going on in Marjah and the rest of the AO, where when they step out the front door they are in bad guy country (and there are a lot of them out there), I see the pricks pretending to be farmers and civilians with their hands behind their back everyday. Then when we check off station they go back to planting IED's and taking pop shots at patrols. To put in terms most folks can understand, its a lot of foreplay and very little ****ing from the perspective of us pilots trying to support guys on the ground. This is an extremely frustrating war.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Here right now. It isn't camp cupcake Iraq, but its good enough. Live in Tents, but the a/c works most of the time. There are two internet centers (but its a long wait and you got 30 minutes). If he has his own computer I think they can hook up the wifi access to the tents. I can never make it to the internet centers though. Just don't have the time. Not sure how employed he will be or not. Luckily I am able to get on SVTP at the work computer, and yahoo email works on it too. Exchange sucks, its far away from where I live and usually the only things they have are a line that goes out to the door. Good shit usually sells out quick. Been to the exchange once and that was enough because its a pain in the ass. Care packages are key here. I told folks if I never have to go to the exchange that would be great. As far as connectivity to the outside world, be prepared for a lot of "river city" unfortunately, because the shit head Taliban are getting a guy or two a day lately. So basically, this isn't your typical gucci fob, but it aint horrible either. Could be a lot worse. It's starting to grow on me. Lot better than what the grunts got going on in Marjah and the rest of the AO, where when they step out the front door they are in bad guy country (and there are a lot of them out there), I see the pricks pretending to be farmers and civilians with their hands behind their back everyday. Then when we check off station they go back to planting IED's and taking pop shots at patrols. To put in terms most folks can understand, its a lot of foreplay and very little ****ing from the perspective of us pilots trying to support guys on the ground. This is an extremely frustrating war.
Appreciate your honesty about the situation there sir.

PM sent.

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread