Been thinking about selling the BAB. Thoughts?

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Lately, I've found myself not enjoying this car. I bought it because I wanted a fun daily driver...and had to have a Bright Atlantic Blue 98 Cobra. Now, I'm seriously considering parting ways with it. I'd like to know what price range I could expect to be in if I were to put it up for sale.

DSC02811-2.jpg

Specs:
165,xxx miles, all stock original engine/trans (no rebuilds)
Rearend rebuilt at 100k miles
Bassani 5pc catted x-pipe
2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers
Pro 5.0 Shifter
King Cobra Clutch @ 80k miles
Koni Yellow Adj Shocks
Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber plates
H&R SuperSport Springs
Hawk Pads front and rear @ 160k miles
FRPP C58 Chrome Cobra R wheels (flawless)
Nitto tires with ~5k miles on them: NT05'R' 275/40/17 rear, NT05 255/40/17 front
Paint matched mirrors
Rear seat delete
...and probably a handful of other things I'm forgetting.

BTW, it would come with, both, the stock hood and the 95R hood (pictured).

What's it worth?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
It is about impossible to sell our year Cobra's right now. I have mine with less miles, a built 04 motor and can't even sell it for 6.5k

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
It is about impossible to sell our year Cobra's right now. I have mine with less miles, a built 04 motor and can't even sell it for 6.5k

Look at your sig, who would want a car that even the owner talks down on?

1997 Turboed Cobra-Gone
1998 Cobra - C head swapped, low compression forged motor. SLOW

OP, your car is a rare color, and its worth what someone is willing to pay. My suggestion, start high and work lower. It all depeneds on how fast you want to sell it.

Last edited:

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
Not heavily modded- which is attractive to some buyers that fear the car might have been tortured.
Very rare color
It looks to be in nice shape

I would post it for 8000.00 and see where the offers fall. Don't give the car away by any means.

That's actually a really beautiful car if someone wanted to swap a Termie motor anyway!!!

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Really hard to say. For example, I paid $2500 for mine (but it needed a little bit of work and a really good detail and I have 140k), and my uncle just paid like 11,000 for a bone stock, 28,000 mile '96.

As said above, start at 8 and work your way down. It's a damn clean car!

mystical

Established Member
Tough market nowadays unfortunately. Major advantage to your car is the color of course, bab is rare and sought after. It also seems to be in great shape judging by the pic and is tastefully modded. Only drawback would be the mileage.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Look at your sig, who would want a car that even the owner talks down on?

1997 Turboed Cobra-Gone
1998 Cobra - C head swapped, low compression forged motor. SLOW

OP, your car is a rare color, and its worth what someone is willing to pay. My suggestion, start high and work lower. It all depeneds on how fast you want to sell it.

Really? My 03 was "1SLWSVT" which also carried to my turboed 97 cobra. So I must have been talking those down too? Not to mention I came from a 800rwhp turbo Cobra to an N/A low compression built motor. Yes, it is slow compared to my previous cobra. But I guess it's no s/c vert.

heavychevy

Established Member
Keep it, whenever i find myself getting bored with one of my cars I do something to it so I would enjoy it again. I dont see gears in your mod list, do 4:30's and a nitrous kit..That would make it a completely different car again, and fun to drive..
Just my opinion, good luck

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Really? My 03 was "1SLWSVT" which also carried to my turboed 97 cobra. So I must have been talking those down too? Not to mention I came from a 800rwhp turbo Cobra to an N/A low compression built motor. Yes, it is slow compared to my previous cobra. But I guess it's no s/c vert.

Thats awsome, you had so many cool cars. I didnt call your car slow or ask about your other cars.

Your previous plate "1SLWSVT" was ironic on a fast car. Now, not so much.

You said you couldnt sell the the car and I pointed an obvious fact. Cry about it.

Last edited:

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Nightmare, I'm in no rush to sell it. As for finding a buyer, it's a BAB Cobra, I have people offering to buy it all the time, I just want to know what other Cobra owners think is fair market value for it.

Keep it, whenever i find myself getting bored with one of my cars I do something to it so I would enjoy it again. I dont see gears in your mod list, do 4:30's and a nitrous kit..That would make it a completely different car again, and fun to drive..
Just my opinion, good luck

That's also something I've been thinking about. I've been wanting to do an IRS swap with polished pipes, possibly a Termy or even GT500 engine swap, and an auto eventually. The only downside to all of that is I would see no return on my "investment" if I wanted to sell it. Also, I could sell this and buy a Termy for the same or similar, to the cost of terminating the BAB.

mystical

Established Member
Nightmare, I'm in no rush to sell it. As for finding a buyer, it's a BAB Cobra, I have people offering to buy it all the time, I just want to know what other Cobra owners think is fair market value for it.

That's also something I've been thinking about. I've been wanting to do an IRS swap with polished pipes, possibly a Termy or even GT500 engine swap, and an auto eventually. The only downside to all of that is I would see no return on my "investment" if I wanted to sell it. Also, I could sell this and buy a Termy for the same or similar, to the cost of terminating the BAB.

I had folks offering to buy mine all the time as well. When the time came and I actually decided to sell, no one was offering to buy:lol:

My opinion is keep it. I think you will figure that out on your own though if you decide to sell. Not trying to discourage you from selling just speaking from my own experience. It is tough out there and not many people have money to spend on a toy. You've got one rare sn95 and I've always liked your car. Good luck with your decision.

Atlantic Blue

Established Member
I took my BAB to the local ford dealer a week ago to see what I could get on a trade for a new 2011 GT 5.0. I have only 52,726 mi. on the car. It has 2003 Cobra wheels, new tires, JLT cai, SCT tune, etc. There are pics of my car on here. They even admitted that the car is in pristine condition. Anyway's the best they would give me on a trade was $5,000.00. I told the sales manager that I wanted at least 10,500.00 to work a trade. He would not budge, and therefore I walked away from them after letting them know that they had "dissed" me and my car. I love the 2011 GT, but I'm not going to give them my car for nothing in trade. I'll just keep my BAB, and enjoy her for another 12 years.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
Thanks for all the input, guys! My original goal was to make it to 200k in this car...I think I'll just keep working at it. Who knows, maybe throw a little cash toward another mod or two.

Minivini

if i could sell my truck today and buy your car tomorrow i would, but that never happens. i gota wait till i get to a unversity so i dont rely on my truck for my every day transportation. beautiful looking car. once i sell my truck im goin to be looking for a 98 or 01 cobra.
hows is the inside of the car??? mileage doesnt scare me, as long as the body, paint and interior dont show 160xxx.

My94GT

Established Member
I took my BAB to the local ford dealer a week ago to see what I could get on a trade for a new 2011 GT 5.0. I have only 52,726 mi. on the car. It has 2003 Cobra wheels, new tires, JLT cai, SCT tune, etc. There are pics of my car on here. They even admitted that the car is in pristine condition. Anyway's the best they would give me on a trade was $5,000.00. I told the sales manager that I wanted at least 10,500.00 to work a trade. He would not budge, and therefore I walked away from them after letting them know that they had "dissed" me and my car. I love the 2011 GT, but I'm not going to give them my car for nothing in trade. I'll just keep my BAB, and enjoy her for another 12 years.

you went to a dealer with unrealistic expectations. a dealer is not going to drop their pants on a trade in just to make a sale. used cars are where dealers make big money they want to see profit off their initial purchase and at anything close to the 10.5 you wanted they wouldnt be able to make enough to justify the trade in this market.

to the op i would list it at 8 obo and work from there it, seems your in no real rush to move the car but you are seemingly open to the idea. i say if a buyer comes along take the sale with in reason and move onto a new venture you will enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread