been thinking A LOT

0dsgvert3

Established Member
Well over the past month or so I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my future. As of right now I work 48hrs/wk, 12 hr shifts and absolutely hate my job. Its not hard at all and does NOT challenge me one bit. In my eyes it is boring and I don't personally benefit from what we are doing. So, I have been talking with some of my family and friends about joining the ARMY. I don't know exactly what it is I want to do in the military yet but I do know that I want to serve our country and have a career I can look back on and be proud of. Being as I am only 21 years old this seems like the perfect time to make this decision, a couple of my friends joined right out of high school and have nothing but good things to say about the paths they picked.

I am by no means the smartest person, but I do work hard and put my heart into every decision I make. I graduated with a good GPA but college just wasn't the path for me at the time and would like to make a difference now. Like I said, I am 21, in good shape, and have the heart and motivation to succeed at whatever I put my mind towards. I guess what I am looking for with this post is some advice and tips from those that are active and those that have retired.

Thanks for your time and responses

Drew

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Well over the past month or so I have been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my future. As of right now I work 48hrs/wk, 12 hr shifts and absolutely hate my job. Its not hard at all and does NOT challenge me one bit. In my eyes it is boring and I don't personally benefit from what we are doing. So, I have been talking with some of my family and friends about joining the ARMY. I don't know exactly what it is I want to do in the military yet but I do know that I want to serve our country and have a career I can look back on and be proud of. Being as I am only 21 years old this seems like the perfect time to make this decision, a couple of my friends joined right out of high school and have nothing but good things to say about the paths they picked.

I am by no means the smartest person, but I do work hard and put my heart into every decision I make. I graduated with a good GPA but college just wasn't the path for me at the time and would like to make a difference now. Like I said, I am 21, in good shape, and have the heart and motivation to succeed at whatever I put my mind towards. I guess what I am looking for with this post is some advice and tips from those that are active and those that have retired.

Thanks for your time and responses

Drew

Not going to sugar coat this. The parts that are underlined and in bold. Expect to work more in the military and for a good while (happens to lower ranking people mostly) a lot of the stuff you do will seem pointless and mean nothing to you. You just have to realize a lot of it passes with time and the higher in rank you get. Honestly find out what job you want before you go to the recruiter and say you want to join. I'm Air Force and I'm sure the people that are Army can give you a little more info about jobs.

Last edited:

R1der

SVT Vet
Established Member
What kind of thing do you think you would like to do, I loved to fly so my job is to fly and I love it

0dsgvert3

Established Member
Not going to sugar coat this. The parts that are underlined and in bold. Expect to work more in the military and for a good while (happens to lower ranking people mostly) a lot of the stuff you do will seem pointless and mean nothing to you. You just have to realize a lot of it passes with time and the higher in rank you get. Honestly find out what job you want before you go to the recruiter and say you want to join. I'm Air Force and I'm sure the people that are Army can give you a little more info about jobs.

I guess that came out wrong. I understand that not EVERYTHING is going to benefit me right to begin with, but I want something that is going to make me a better person and that I can look back on and be very proud of. What better way than to serve our country and put my life on the line to protect the country we live in. That in my eyes is one thing that NOBODY can ever take away from you and I am thankful to those of you that have signed up to do that.

What kind of thing do you think you would like to do, I loved to fly so my job is to fly and I love it

I am not exactly sure what I would like to do yet. I love just about anything that involves my hands and completing a specific task. I have grown up in a family that is die hard law enforcement and just want to take a little different route. I have been looking into the jobs and think that I have started narrowing it down a bit.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I'll just give you some advice if you do join. I'm Marines, and don't judge the military by your first year or so. Like some have said, you will do some stupid stuff that you hate. Take the good leaders and bad leaders and take what you like and dislike about them, and become your own leader. I've been in for a little under two years, I'm an E-4 (Corporal) and I don't regret one thing. I've been to Afghanistan and saved 2 pilots lives. I can live knowing I made a difference.

Thank you for your future service!

0dsgvert3

Established Member
Well I went back in today and talked to my recruiter once again. My mind is set and I am jumping in and holding nothing back. The last time I took the ASVAB was my senior year in HS and I scored a 85 which is pretty good. The last final steps are to take the ASVAB again next Monday and then physical on Tuesday. Once those last two steps are taken I will be sworn in and sign Tuesday afternoon!!

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Good for you. When you sign in, that's for the program. You can still back out or change branches if you want. When you sign in to go to boot camp, that's when your contract starts.

0dsgvert3

Established Member
Good for you. When you sign in, that's for the program. You can still back out or change branches if you want. When you sign in to go to boot camp, that's when your contract starts.

Correct, but in my eyes there is no reason to back out after signing for the program. I have the support of friends and family and want to do something I myself will be proud of down the road.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Correct, but in my eyes there is no reason to back out after signing for the program. I have the support of friends and family and want to do something I myself will be proud of down the road.

Good for you. Joining the Army was the best decision I've ever made. Have you decided on a MOS yet?

AlanSVT

Established Member
Did they give you a choice? or did they kindly recommend that mos?

Either way good luck and if you end up on FT. Bragg hit me up...

0dsgvert3

Established Member
ya sorry. i was in a hurry typing the other day. I had a choice on which mos i could select and just wanted a hands on type of career. I dont like to sit and look at computer screens and what not all day long and he said this would fit more my type of gig. if it is indeed something i like that will be awesome and time will fly, if not then i will deal with it and once the option to re-inlist comes i will try to change my mos. im excited and have heard nothing but good things from those that have been in and served their time for our country

Eric111

First off, congratulations on your decision to serve, it’s an excellent decision that will serve you well in the future. I was an active duty Infantry officer for 8 ½ years (still active, just not Infantry) and I’d like to give you some advice on how to prepare and what to expect.

Start working on your physical conditioning now. The Army PT test is not that hard but your job will be physically demanding. The better shape you are in the better off you will be, plus it may make basic a little easier since you will already have an edge physically. High intensity interval training would be good or take a look at starting a Cross-fit program. Also, start working on your feet, get a pair of combat boots and an old rucksack from the surplus store and start walking. Tough feet are happy feet.

A couple of good books to read are On Killing and On Combat both by Dave Grossman. Both books provide a good look at the psychological and physical effects of combat. Some mental preparation will defiantly help get you ready for basic and transitioning into military life.

When you’re at home (by home I mean not deployed) Army units go through a cycle called the Army Force Generation Cycle (ARFORGEN). The goal right now is a 2 to 1 cycle, 2 years home and 1 year deployed. Most units aren’t there yet, 15 to 20 months is the norm between deployments. The daily routine at home is morning PT then work till 16-1700. Your daily work will be anything from vehicle maintenance to field exercises. Some days you’ll be really busy, some days you won’t. It all depends on where your unit is at in the training cycle.

When you’re deployed you will experience long periods of boredom punctuated with moments of pure chaos. The key when you’re deployed is maintaining your flexibility. The situation can change very rapidly there, one minute you’re down for the day and the next minute you’re on a 4 day operation. In any event, no matter what your view is on the war, a deployment is an opportunity to employ your craft in an operational environment and you will make a difference in some ones life, either an Iraqi/Afghan or another Soldier.

Finally, I want to say thanks, I appreciate your decision to serve. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

0dsgvert3

Established Member
First off, congratulations on your decision to serve, it’s an excellent decision that will serve you well in the future. I was an active duty Infantry officer for 8 ½ years (still active, just not Infantry) and I’d like to give you some advice on how to prepare and what to expect.

Start working on your physical conditioning now. The Army PT test is not that hard but your job will be physically demanding. The better shape you are in the better off you will be, plus it may make basic a little easier since you will already have an edge physically. High intensity interval training would be good or take a look at starting a Cross-fit program. Also, start working on your feet, get a pair of combat boots and an old rucksack from the surplus store and start walking. Tough feet are happy feet.

A couple of good books to read are On Killing and On Combat both by Dave Grossman. Both books provide a good look at the psychological and physical effects of combat. Some mental preparation will defiantly help get you ready for basic and transitioning into military life.

When you’re at home (by home I mean not deployed) Army units go through a cycle called the Army Force Generation Cycle (ARFORGEN). The goal right now is a 2 to 1 cycle, 2 years home and 1 year deployed. Most units aren’t there yet, 15 to 20 months is the norm between deployments. The daily routine at home is morning PT then work till 16-1700. Your daily work will be anything from vehicle maintenance to field exercises. Some days you’ll be really busy, some days you won’t. It all depends on where your unit is at in the training cycle.

When you’re deployed you will experience long periods of boredom punctuated with moments of pure chaos. The key when you’re deployed is maintaining your flexibility. The situation can change very rapidly there, one minute you’re down for the day and the next minute you’re on a 4 day operation. In any event, no matter what your view is on the war, a deployment is an opportunity to employ your craft in an operational environment and you will make a difference in some ones life, either an Iraqi/Afghan or another Soldier.

Finally, I want to say thanks, I appreciate your decision to serve. Good luck to you.

back from the dead. thanks for this reply. i have been working on the physical side of things since before i even joined. it has become a lot easier to run/jog 5 or more miles at a time and i think that will help a bunch when it comes time to leave. this time before basic has been flying by and i cant wait to start. everyone says i will regret it at first but, in my eyes its truely what i want to do with my life. thanks for all the extra support and info on here gentlemen it means alot when you have the support from not only friends and family but others on an internet forum. :beer:

Rochard

Established Member
Congras on your choice.

I too was in too was in a similar place when I was seventeen. Although I was college prep and came from a good family, I dropped out of high school and left home at 16. A year later I was working crap jobs and into drugs. I was utterly bored, going no where, and most likely would have ended up in jail. Joining the Marines was the best thing I ever did.

Users who are viewing this thread