Beefing up the IRS

Bionik_P

Established Member
Ok, so when I get back from my deployment I'm looking to beef up the IRS on my Cobra. The list below is what I'm looking at....

1)Billetflow Diff Cover Brace
2)MM Diff bushings--Urethane
3)MMFLSFC
4)MM IRS Bushings (Urethane)
5)Billetflow IRS Mount Brackets
6)H&R Race Springs or Steeda Springs
7) Upgraded shocks/struts...something that will compliment the upgraded springs

I have a couple questions....
My Cobra is a daily driver that I take to the track as much as I can...because of that I don't want to drop the car too low and have to worry about getting in and out of my driveway and over any speed bumps....so would the Steeda Springs be worth it? Is there such a thing as H&R Race Springs for a convertible?

My second set of questions is in regards to the strut/shock setup....I want to get an adjustable setup in the rear, but I don't want to go the coilover route. I see that Koni and QA-1 have adjustable sets....I thought I read somewhere that QA-1s have to be modified to fit the eyelets? Are the Koni ones any good? Would any of these two compliment the new H&R or Steeda setup?

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
I just got done upgrading my vert. I replaced exactly what you are looking to do minus the struts but added the UPC & LCA delrin bushings and new Nitto 315/17 DR's. I used the H&R race springs and the ride height is perfect for me. I switched out the stock ISO for MM Iso and replaced the IRS bolt with the MM low profile one. This combination works for me. Some guys are taking out the Iso all together but, I didn't like that idea. Taking pictures this weekend. I heard that the springs settle somewhat after a few days so I wanted to wait.

CobraO4

Tuned by HBH
Established Member
I forgot to mention the struts/shocks. There is tons of info on changing these out. I did not. After reading "Postbans" write up on it... it seams there are strong possibilities of ripping out the eyes. I wasn't interested in taking the chance

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
Steeda springs on a vert are great. Ride height is nice and ride/handling is awesome. Here are a few pics of mine with Steeda's.
IMG_1309Medium-1.jpg

IMG_1197Medium.jpg

IMG_1220Medium.jpg

IMG_1104Medium.jpg

img_1038Medium.jpg

Last edited:

Bionik_P

Established Member
Yeah the DRs will be coming as well....that's almost a given for the track.

I've been talking to the guys at RWTD to get some advice on what I should do as well. So far they have said they recommend the H&R Race but sticking with the stock shock/struts....

I also contact MM directly to see their take on the Steeda springs....I know when I ask this question, most people talking from a coupe perspective and forget that there are slight differences with the vert. That's my biggest concern.

Cobra 04 and Special Blend do you have the MM Caster/Camber plates?

Special Blend can you e-mail those pics of your car....unfortunately I'm deployed, so the filter on the server won't allow me to see those pictures. :bash:

Thanks for the advice so far!

724COBRA

Established Member
Might want to check out AC427COBRA's bushing kit. That is what i am gonna get. much cheaper, more complete, and high quality from what i hear

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I just did all those steps and my car is getting 4 wheel alignment right now. I drove it a little this morning and love the way it drives. It seems pretty much as smooth as before. I nailed it in second and no wheel hop! After alignment I'll try first gear and hopefully the same thing! Pretty much everyone on here recommends the red pill! As for ride height I used H&R race with stock iso's and I think it sits perfect! Hopefully the rear settles another 1/4" or so.

Bionik_P

Established Member
je99gt said:
Might want to check out AC427COBRA's bushing kit. That is what i am gonna get. much cheaper, more complete, and high quality from what i hear

I'm checking into that right now....I don't think it's necessarily more complete than the MM kit.....it seems like it's all the same stuff, just a little cheaper...

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Uh and one more thing. My car is on the alignment rack right now and it needs Caster/Camber plates. You guys might want to add them to the list! I don't know if some people get by with out them when they lower their cars or what. Since the red pill didn't have them in there I didn't get them. Well now we're ordering some from lethal this morning! Fu(K

724COBRA

Established Member
posi said:
Uh and one more thing. My car is on the alignment rack right now and it needs Caster/Camber plates. You guys might want to add them to the list! I don't know if some people get by with out them when they lower their cars or what. Since the red pill didn't have them in there I didn't get them. Well now we're ordering some from lethal this morning! Fu(K

Sweet POSI...Let me know how it works out. I will be doing mine in the next couple weeks

Users who are viewing this thread