Bed mounted IC res with OEM pump?

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Chris Nelson was running the stock pump with the bed mount ic. It def puts more stress on it but it will get it done.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I was just readig the thread about the Meziere pump and such.

So your saying two pumps, one on the return and one on the feed?

pumps are normally designed to push..not pull. Id run two pumps in series (one pump feeds the other) just to regain the pressure from pushing the liquid a greater distance. However now that I think of it running two in parrallel may produce better results as it should help cut back on some of the head loss.
The goal is to keep your flow rates up dude nothing more.
Like I said it could be done, but I dont know how much (if any) youd cut down the pumps life span.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
the guy who designed the ICey Res has run one in his bed before, as well as one attached to his frame (the cylinder design). he used just the stock Bosch pump for his and it worked great. of course he didnt have either of these for a looong time though...

im no engineer but id imagine that if you ran two pumps, no matter where you had them in the system they'd still be doing the same job since the whole system is a cycle. unless the water's flow before the 2nd pump is weak, in which case it would be trying to pull the water along. but i think that would only happen if you didnt have enough water in your system. if you fill it to capacity then it should have plenty of water at all times, in all areas. then the water would just be pushed along as it encounters the 2nd pump. i think it's an interesting idea if you dont mind springing for a 2nd pump. it certainly cant hurt things. but in that case, why not just relocate the battery to the bed and mount the ICey Res in the battery's location. reason being, if you mount the IR in the bed, you still have to run the a/c lines alllllll the way to engine bay to connect up. possible, but youre going to have looonger a/c hoses to run and have to fill the system with even more R132 id imagine.

I myself am seriously thinking of mounting a new one in my own truck, in the battery's location and running our JLP-style ice box in the windshield washer's spot (where my ICey Res currently is). the standard ice box i have sitting here was a prototype design that fits THREE gallons :banana:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
im no engineer but id imagine that if you ran two pumps, no matter where you had them in the system they'd still be doing the same job since the whole system is a cycle. unless the water's flow before the 2nd pump is weak, in which case it would be trying to pull the water along. but i think that would only happen if you didnt have enough water in your system. if you fill it to capacity then it should have plenty of water at all times, in all areas. then the water would just be pushed along as it encounters the 2nd pump.

its not the "weak" flow id worry about. You gotta remember a pump can only pump so far (head rating) I dont know the head rating on our pumps. But me being me I wouldnt run a single unit when pumping from the bed to the IC. But I will agree with moving the battery to the read and custom mounting the icey res up front...it would be a much better setup...but you end up losing the water capacity that a bed mounted unit will offer.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I wouldn't bother with the bed mount at all. By the time you add the weight of the box, lines and added fluid it will more than offset any power gained by the extra fluid or icing will allow. Water is 8#/gallon, add 3-5 more gallons of fluid and you have 24-45# extra there PLUS the rest so you're easily adding 40-60 pounds more weight if you add ice.

If it gains you 25 rwhp you'll break even on ET's at best. I have ~2 gallons total fluid in my IR setup with the stock reservior gone and it's PLENTY. It works all the time at the turn of a switch and cools things down in 2-5 minutes, ready to run again. My .02

Schmuckingham

Established Member
I guess I worded it wrong, im not using the Icey Res thing like Fade has. I am using a stock intercooler system and while i have most of the top end of the motor removed including the stock intercooler overflow i was going to use a 3 gallon cell i have laying around.

I can afford to blow 500 bucks on a used Icey res setup right now because i still need a tune,fuel system and an XcalII

Last edited:

Schmuckingham

Established Member
I understood your plan. I think you'd be ok with one pump, you can always pick up another off Ebay. :beer:

Well i guess my thinking is that if i keep the res away from the hot engine bay it may help temps slightly.

Later down the road i can get a Icey res and be happier if i can find one.

Users who are viewing this thread