Beating the heat

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I know there have been some discussions about radiators recently but I was wondering if anyone is using an electronic water pump and fan setup. I currently have a Fluidyne radiator that came with my car, not sure if I want to swap the rad out but I would like to slap a Meziere electric water pump and fans in down the road and maybe even a little pusher fan to help beat this Texas heat.

I know the electronic setup isn’t a must but I’ve had good experiences with them on my past cars and they look clean. I’d like to find the best operating / matching combo and just not sure which rad/fans to go with. I’d also like to know how you guys are wiring your setup?

My plans are to have a cool running 500rwhp, supercharge, DD car when I’m done. So what electronic setups have you guys seen or using?

Thanks,

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I am in TX also. A couple of recommendations are water wetter or something equivalent. I run it and it definately dropped temps. Also, if you can stand it a slight cowl hood. Venting that heat from the motor compartment would definately help.

Tom

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I've seen the water wetter stuff and was wondering if that stuff really worked, thats good to hear.

I like your thought about the cowl hood too. It's on my list to do but waay at the bottom, i guess that would be a good excuse to my wife for buying one sooner. :D

Liv4Spd

Established Member
The Water Wetter is for real - (25% Anti Freeze / 75% Distilled Water / Half Bottle of the WW). This mix with a good aluminum radiator and a 180 thermostat has been money for me. Don't have any exp with an electric setup, but then again...I've never had a reason to bother moving from the stock pump/clutch fan setup.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
I think you will benefit more from the electric fan swap being a street car. The electric fans are more efficent at cooling while the car is at a stop or a slow roll. Also if you are running A/C with a proper controller the fans will pull more air across the condenser at those slow speeds when it matters the most. I have a dual fan contour v6 setup in my car with DCC control and it works quite well.

The electric pump is good for the track because after the car is shut down after a run you can leave the pump on to cool while the car is off. I dont see this being a benefit for a street car though. Wont be trying this because I dont believe it is worth the effort.

Another idea I'll throw out is maybe adding an oil cooler. I have not tried this yet, but I see many performance cars having them and it makes sense. When I get to it I plan on a larger oil pan and high volume pump also as you really should have more oil in the system if you are going to add these accessories which the original engine was not designed to run.

Aluminum heads have a cooling effect on supercharged engines. I have a new set of Twisted Wedges that are sitting here waiting to throw on but I am not getting into that project for a while. SO right now I am running stock iron.

Tom is right though the most efficient way to cool would be to give that hot air a place to vent. If the heat cant be released, it cant be cooled. A cowl hood, some vents in your stock hood, or a terminator hood would do the job.

Personally I have beat the heat by replacing all components of my cooling including system. Pump, hoses, aluminum radiator, electric fan like mentioned and Motorcraft 192* thermostat. YES, the 180* sucks and motorcraft quality does make a difference. And yes its as hot as texas out here. Have not tried with A/C on yet though and that may push it too hot. I'll keep you guys updated though as more upgrades get done.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Well said.

An oil cooler is usually worth about 10 degrees, give or take. And I highly recommend the DCC fan controller. It can also run an electric water pump too.

Myself, I run a mkviii e fan plus a dcc controller plus a motorsport alum radiator. It flows some serious air.

Users who are viewing this thread