Beaten topic, but i need some straight answers on power and DD

whatwhine

Established Member
Hey yal,
ive been mustang-less for 3 years, 3 long terrible boring years.
Looking to get back to a coyote car or a terminator.
If i go coyote, i want to know what i can safely do with a stock motor. Also what needs to be done to be safe.

I was thinking a 2011-12 5.0, 6M, Paxton kit, Delete resonators, roush axle back and suspension mods.
Tuning will be with JPC, i like them a lot and they are about an hour or so from me.

What do i need to do this?
i read a lot on oil pump gears, head cooling mods, crank gears....ect....

Goals are Daily drivability, 600+ horsepower and a few track outings a year; both drag and road course.
Thanks for reading, please dont flame me out. ive been searching like crazy too.
Rich

Quad4_72

Established Member
Well you basically already named it. I daily mine and you can see my mod list below. Throw those OPGs and crank sprocket in there for good measure and the motor is good. The tune is the key. I would also recommend at a minimum a driveshaft loop too. Aftermarket driveshaft would be good but make sure that loop is there.

evil281

Established Member
I did the OPG's at the same time. Just make sure your using the best gas you can find and have a good tune and you should be just fine.

kdaly

Established Member
I did the OPG's at the same time. Just make sure your using the best gas you can find and have a good tune and you should be just fine.

Mods in sig, and its not a fun daily driver. If it was an auto it would be much better. I bought a second car just so I dont have to run it in traffic. If you dont have traffic your golden.

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i think the cooling head mod was for the problem on the late 2010 up to mid 2011 engines.but i do mean on a mildly modded car.

evil281

Established Member
More info please. What sucks about the DD and your setup?

Interested to hear as well. My drivability before FI vs FI was not very different so if you are happy with your car before a supercharger I am not sure why adding one would be less enjoyable for regular driving? I can only speak for the VMP style supercharger though. I have no experience with vortech.

Quad4_72

Established Member
Yeah I'd like to hear any negatives...

My guess would be the guy who said it is not a fun daily driver is because he lives in a very high traffic area and the stick shift is his main issue with driving in traffic. No manual car is fun to drive in traffic that's for sure. Having FI is not going to effect it being a daily driver at all though. If you keep your foot light on the gas pedal and drive regular its just like not having FI. But the power will be there when you need it ;)

cjd223

Established Member
Forget the M6. My car is a DD. Not much as I have been retired for 5 years. I am running a Roush TVS Phase 1 converted to much higher HP. That is the cheapest way to go with a Roush. Don't waste your money on a CAI or long tube headers. The biggest restrictions in your exhaust system are the cats. Just buy some Jegs cat delete pipes. I did way too much research trying to decide which way to go - centrifugal or TVS.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I dd my Paxton. I wouldn't say it's like stock but not much different than when it was Bolton tuned. Don't do it unless you can afford to replace the motor if it blows.(im don't know what your finances are like) Mine has lasted over a year and 12500 miles but I know everytime I get on it, it could go. Stock motor is not made for that amount of power. That being said a lot of people including myself run it for a while like that.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I dd my Paxton. I wouldn't say it's like stock but not much different than when it was Bolton tuned. Don't do it unless you can afford to replace the motor if it blows.(im don't know what your finances are like) Mine has lasted over a year and 12500 miles but I know everytime I get on it, it could go. Stock motor is not made for that amount of power. That being said a lot of people including myself run it for a while like that.

This is the key for me. If I put a blower on my car and it blew up it would be sitting for months and months until I could afford a motor. I'll just stick to bolt ons for now

466roller

Established Member
My car is my DD. '13 A6, drove it about a year with just a tune on it. It ran 12.50's @112 on stock goodyears. I took it to several road course outings at PBIR and the car more than held its owns against M3's and several Audi's with just a set of pirellis and better brake pads. I added OPG's and a VMP kit to it earlier in the year along with an off road x pipe. My car is a little on the heavy side due to added sound deadener and upgraded stereo components.

I've installed the Paxton/vortech, VMP and Whipple front feed kits. The front feed Whipple and VMP kits are much nicer and cleaner installs than the Paxton/vortechs. You obviously pay more for this, it's up to you if the added cost is worth the end result.
Although the manual car may be more tempting for some, I think the A6 is the only way to go when your adding FI. I've been able to pull more than a few higher powered manual trans cars. No slipping clutch or missed gears.
Again this combo is near perfect for ME, your idea may be different. Either way we are all having fun. Good luck with your search!

Jumpmaster2015

Established Member
Search through the power adder threads for 2011-2014 mustangs. Someone just created a thread a couple of weeks ago, he has been running 700+ RWHP and just hit the 77000 mile mark with no issues on a stock motor. As someone stated above, it is all in the tune!

kdaly

Established Member
Interested to hear as well. My drivability before FI vs FI was not very different so if you are happy with your car before a supercharger I am not sure why adding one would be less enjoyable for regular driving? I can only speak for the VMP style supercharger though. I have no experience with vortech.

Well the only part that is not fun that the supercharge contributes too, or was apparent after install was how smooth it was engaging in first or feathering it in reverse for parking. Its a stock clutch so I'm not sure if you get a better clutch what you'd experience. Also it likes to stay higher in the rpm range, where as when it was stock motor wise it could stay happy at 1500rpm for highway cruising. Car needs to be @ 2k or higher now. Not a huge problem but again for a DD, you just want to get from point A to point B sometimes. I get miserable gas mileage in it. I've never measured it but I'd think its around 14mpg. To me that is unacceptable for a DD.

But other things contribute to a poor dd experience. My seats dont recline. My K-member mounts make you feel much more NVH. The CO's sit me low and need to watch for everything. The CO's also hare more harsh so its just not ideal. My Big BOV doesnt help the DD experience either. Really nothing I've done to the car help a DD, that is why I drive it only on nice days and enjoy it immensely that way.

Sure I could make it work but for a traffic setup where its a lot of stop and go, I'd get pissed real quick. If I had an Auto I could deal with everything else. I bought a new jetta to tool around in and go to work. I might get some heat on all this but really at 5:45AM you dont want to ride a raging bull into work, you just want to get there peacefully in a horse and buggy, if you know what I mean. There are times for both.

Last edited:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I'll be boosting my car with higher miles next year. I'm at 78k now, and I suspect when it is boosted, the car will be around 90k miles. I'm going with an On3 kit and it's staying on 7-10psi until I can get a built motor/T56 for it. I am not too afraid of boosting it that high, as long as I keep it on pump gas and on lower boost. It's when it gets higher boost, will it be sketchy. I'll be doing OPG's and lower crank sprockets, which will help some. I love driving the car, and that's what I bought it for. I'll just drive it a lot different than what I do now. Pulls in it will be very limited and I'll be keeping an eye on everything more closely.

noldevin

Established Member
600+hp is a lot for road course, especially if you don't have a ton of experience doing it. Drag/road course setups don't exactly compliment each other either.
I'd suggest a power setup that is easy to dial back and adjust, as well as adjustable suspension, to make road course more doable.
Cooling on the road course will be a problem too, going to need a serious intercooler and radiator setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread