Beat a Viper SRT-10 Woo Hoo!!

Mr Incredible

Established Member
I saw a Viper up ahead of me in traffic and had to catch up to it to see. Sure enough, it said SRT-10 on the side and had an in-transit sticker still in the back window. I got up beside him at a light and he didn't even look over at me. So when the light turned green I took off nice and easy just staying beside him in first and then when I shifted to 2nd I gave it some gas and jumped a little in front of him to see what he would do. As I let off the gas and coasted back beside him I watched him shift down and floor it. As soon as I knew he was going for sure I floored it again in 2nd. I started to slowly pull him as I fish-tailed slightly beside him (can never hook up in 2nd-damn 4.10s). And when I shifted to 3rd I began to pull away pretty steady.

Let out at the top of 3rd and waited for the guy to catch back up, with my window rolled down. He had his passenger window down as he pulled up, he said, "What the hell is in that thing?!?" I proceeded to explain to him that it was a stock 04 Cobra :lol: :lol: Just kidding. I told him I had an aftermarket supercharger and running 20 pounds of boost. We exchanged thumbs up and left our seperate ways.:-D

bmfgsxr

Established Member
good job man.. in transit plates.. i hope he was at least the owner.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Haha, yeah that would suck if he was just racing someones else's car. Nice kill, a little snake on snake violence never hurt anybody ;)

Mr Incredible

Established Member
Thanks. Yeah I didn't really think about it, but that's the 2nd time I've seen that car. The first time, I wasn't in the Cobra, and it was an older man with grey hair driving it. :) This was a guy in his mid 30's and had a young girl with him, maybe like 7 or 8 years old. Son and grandaughter maybe??

Mr Incredible

Established Member
Yeah, I run 20 on pump gas, but I live at 5300 feet. I would never run 20 near sea level. In Terminator talk I posted a couple times about the difference in dynamic compression ratio at higher elevation and how it allows you to run higher boost. I've heard it's about 5% difference for every 1000 feet in elevation. So my "corrected" numbers are 647/602 but I'm actually only making around 500/450 to the wheels. Just like that Viper isn't really making the manufacturer rated 550 hp at the crank, only about 400-450 :)

04gtstang

Established Member
Mr Incredible said:
Yeah, I run 20 on pump gas, but I live at 5300 feet. I would never run 20 near sea level. In Terminator talk I posted a couple times about the difference in dynamic compression ratio at higher elevation and how it allows you to run higher boost. I've heard it's about 5% difference for every 1000 feet in elevation. So my "corrected" numbers are 647/602 but I'm actually only making around 500/450 to the wheels. Just like that Viper isn't really making the manufacturer rated 550 hp at the crank, only about 400-450 :)

I was going to say..you have traction issues in only 2nd gear? LOL. But the elevation is definatly an issue. I make 468/481 and my car doesnt fully hook until 75-80 MPH in 3rd gear....heck sometimes 80+ in 4th will start to break loose.

So your SAE #s were 647 but your STD #s were like 500? I assume STD is what your car ATCUALLY made on the dyno, with no corrections factored in...but that doesnt seem quite right either because my tuner is @ 1000' and he said my STD HP #s were 48X...ie more than SAE. :shrug:

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Good Kill. I had something very similar happen to me on my Birthday off all days... we pulled from 2nd all the way to 160 and I was 15 cars in front of him. It was great :) So much for my "heavy" ass cobra vert :)

Mr Incredible

Established Member
04gtstang said:
I was going to say..you have traction issues in only 2nd gear? LOL. But the elevation is definatly an issue. I make 468/481 and my car doesnt fully hook until 75-80 MPH in 3rd gear....heck sometimes 80+ in 4th will start to break loose.

So your SAE #s were 647 but your STD #s were like 500? I assume STD is what your car ATCUALLY made on the dyno, with no corrections factored in...but that doesnt seem quite right either because my tuner is @ 1000' and he said my STD HP #s were 48X...ie more than SAE. :shrug:

I'm just going by what the previous owner told me. I was never there when it got dyno'd. I'm not sure about the actual numbers, I was just assuming about a 20% correction factor. That reminds me I still need to get the dyno sheet emailed to me. I do know that it has a Whipple that pulls right up to 20lbs. :pepper: :pepper:
I have major traction problems in 2nd with my 295 BFG Drags and I can pull it sideweays if I want to in third, but I can make it stick pretty good too.

04gtstang

Established Member
^There we go...those BFG Drs will hook WAY better than my 315 street tires. if I had those I probably wouldnt have any traction issues in 3rd either. But mine being a DD with 300-400 miles a week put on it...DRs are sortof out of the question :(

Users who are viewing this thread