BCS Playoff

Nebraska_SHO

Established Member
Okay this is kinda long, but I couldn't sleep last night, kid is teething. If you choose to read it I wanna hear your comments. To be honest it is the best most fair system I have looked at, maybe cause its mine lol.

Here is my simple solution to the current BCS system. The NCAA has to push for a play off it is really that simple. Every sport has a play off to determine the leagues out right winner. Why not the FBS? This will not require ANY changes to the conferences, so enough of the super conference talk. How will this work you ask? Sit tight and read the following.

Okay, so the FBS has 11 conferences, and a group of Independents (currently 4 teams). The 11 conference champions will receive the 1-12 seeds. The seeding will be determined by the BCS ranking. The conference champion that has the highest ranking in the BCS will receive the #1 seed, the second highest ranked conference champion will receive the #2 seed, and so on and so fourth. What if a conference champion is un-ranked? Keep it simple, stupid! There seeding will be determined by the teams strength of schedule, and the teams overall record. So now we have 11 spots filled, the 12th team will be an Independent, and will be determined by the BCS ranking, if there is not a ranked Independent team it will be decided by a combination of the team with the hardest strength of schedule and the team with the best overall record.

Still with me? Lets use the newest AP rankings, humor me, pretend the BCS rankings are the same. The bracket would look like this.

#1. Seed- LSU-Highest ranked conference champion (SEC)
#2. Seed- Oklahoma State- 2nd highest ranked conference champion (Big XII)
#3. Seed- Oregon- 3rd highest ranked conference champion (PAC 12)
#4. Seed- Wisconsin-4th highest ranked conference champion (B1G)
#5. Seed- Clemson- 5th highest ranked conference champion (ACC)
#6. Seed- TCU- 6th highest ranked conference champion (Mountain West)
#7. Seed- Southern Miss- 7th highest ranked conference champion (C-USA)
#8. Seed- West Virginia- 8th highest ranked conference champion (Big East)
#9. Seed- Louisiana Tech- Un-ranked 8-4 overall, SOS 74th (WAC)
#10. Seed- BYU- Un-ranked 9-3 overall, SOS 75th (Independent)
#11. Seed- Northern Illinois- Un-ranked 10-3 overall, SOS 89th (Mid-America)
#12 Seed- Arkansas State- Un-ranked 10-2 overall, SOS 120th (Sun-Belt)

Now just wait a minute, I forgot to mention that the bracket has 20 seeds. This is where it gets good. Lets take the above 12 teams out of the mock BCS rankings, if we do that it looks something like this.

#1. Alabama (#2 BCS)
#2. Stanford (#4 BCS)
#3. Arkansas (#7 BCS)
#4. Boise State (#8 BCS)
#5. South Carolina (#10 BCS)
#6. Kansas State (#11 BCS)
#7. Michigan State (#12 BCS)
#8. Michigan (#13 BCS)
*USC #5 BCS is ineligible.

Now lets seed these bad boys.

#13 Seed-Alabama
#14 Seed-Stanford
#15 Seed-Arkansas
#16 Seed-Boise State
#17 Seed-South Carolina
#18 Seed-Kansas State
#19 Seed-Michigan State
#20 Seed-Michigan

Looks pretty interesting so far doesn’t it? Lets place the match ups.

Seeds #1, #2, #3, and #4 will all receive a first round bye.

The #1 seed would play the winner of #12 and #20, the winner of that game plays the winner between #8 and #16.

The #2 seed would play the winner of #11 and #19, the winner of that game plays the winner between #7 and #15.

The #3 seed would play the winner of #10 and #18, the winner of that game plays the winner between #6 and #14.

The #4 seed would play the winner of #9 and #17, the winner of that game plays the winner between #5 and #13.

#1 and #4 are on one side of the bracket while #2 and #3 are on the other side. If you cant figure it out get a pen and some paper and draw it.

Section 1 of the bracket would look like this

#12 Arkansas State vs. #20 Michigan
Winner plays #1 LSU

#8 West Virginia vs. #16 Boise State
Winner plays #1, #20 , or #12

Section 2

#11 Northern Illinois vs. #19 Michigan State
Winner plays #2 Oklahoma State

#7 Southern Mississippi vs. #15 Arkansas
Winner plays #11, #19 or #2

Section 3

#10 BYU vs. #18 Kansas State
Winner plays #3 Oregon

#6 TCU vs. #14 Stanford
Winner plays #10, #18, or #3

Section 4

#9 Louisiana Tech vs. #17 South Carolina
Winner plays #4 Wisconsin

#5 Clemson vs. #13 Alabama
Winner plays #9, #17, or #4

The winner of section 1 and section 4 play each other, and the winner of section 2 and section 3 play each other. The two teams that come out on top will play for the BCS National Championship. Do it to it NCAA!!!

Users who are viewing this thread