Bbk Shorty headers

ATX5.0

Established Member
A local guy is selling new bbk shorty headers (chrome) and we agreed on a price for around 30 percent off of what they retail for. Is this a fair price? I've seen them online for 330 to 350. I have an o/r h pipe and a friend will be doing the install.

Last edited:

ATX5.0

Established Member
Seller says that the headers were never installed and still in the box.

Bgoins

Established Member
From what I've heard the performance gains from shorty headers are not worth the cost and/or installation time. I'd hold out for some used long tube headers if u wanna go that route.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
From what I've heard the performance gains from shorty headers are not worth the cost and/or installation time. I'd hold out for some used long tube headers if u wanna go that route.

The only shorty header I would consider would be the Kooks 1 7/8th Super Street Shorties, they have been proven to produce gains close to LTs.

scott_0

Established Member
not worth the hassle, unless they were free, and even then I wouldn't do it, if you're doing headers, do long tubes

ATX5.0

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Seller came down a bit more. The reason why I am considering shorties is one day I would like to go with a single turbo kit.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Seller came down a bit more. The reason why I am considering shorties is one day I would like to go with a single turbo kit.

If a single is in the cards, then it depends. JPC single kits use the factory header or shorty with factory style flange. I believe some other kits like CPR have headers with v-band flanges.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I bought the same BBK tuned equal length headers locally used. They look like they were used for like a week or two. The guy needed cash. There weren't any gaskets and he didn't have the 5 bolts you have to have to install. I paid $100. I'm waiting for the clutch replacement time to do the headers. I just got a clutch off ebay from the AM liquidation seller, the Fidanza one brand new for $169. I don't want the noise of longtubes myself, my car is already loud as hell as it is.

ATX5.0

Established Member
If a single is in the cards, then it depends. JPC single kits use the factory header or shorty with factory style flange. I believe some other kits like CPR have headers with v-band flanges.

Yeah, I've taken a hard look at Jpc and edp kits have also caught my attention. I have read up on both kits quite a bit on this forum.

ATX5.0

Established Member
I bought the same BBK tuned equal length headers locally used. They look like they were used for like a week or two. The guy needed cash. There weren't any gaskets and he didn't have the 5 bolts you have to have to install. I paid $100. I'm waiting for the clutch replacement time to do the headers. I just got a clutch off ebay from the AM liquidation seller, the Fidanza one brand new for $169. I don't want the noise of longtubes myself, my car is already loud as hell as it is.

That's a really good deal! The seller will come down on price. Definetly beats paying 800 plus for LTs. Yeah I know what you mean, mines already loud enough with the off road mid pipe.

ATX5.0

Established Member

Also, how was the fit and how long did it take to install the shorties? Thanks in advance for any info

ATX5.0

Established Member
Update! Went ahead and bought the shorties (dirt cheap) and a friend and I installed them this past weekend. I feel the car responds a little better throughout the rpm's. It's quiet at idle but after 3k is where the sound difference is most noticed. The install took about 5-6hrs at a slow pace on jack stands and using basic tools. The fit was good and so far no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread