BBK or Volant cold air???

cliff724

Established Member
Anybody ever use a Volant cold air kit? I am looking at that one and the BBK. Any sugestions, likes or dislikes on either one? Thanks!!

Last edited:

65sohc

Established Member
Judging from the pictures I would say those two are among those least likely to show any hp gains. Most, if not all the restriction in the factory system is due to the tube. The two you mentioned have the same size tube as OE and both have relatively sharp angles which impede efficient air flow. Contrast that to the Steeda and C&L which are comprised of a larger diameter gentle radius tube. I documented a 13 hp gain with the Steeda.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Airaid and JLT are probably the two most popular

stags

Established Member
Depends on what you are going for. If you are going for appearance only then pick a CAI kit that fits your tastes.

If you are looking for power, keep looking. The dead giveaway here is that these are both no tune required CAIs.

CAI 101: Basic premise- more fuel burned equates to more power. If that alone were true then we would just throw massive amounts of gas in the car. That said, all chemical reactions including combustion have an optimal ratio of reactants. There needs to be the right amount of oxygen and gasoline. Too much or too little of either and there are reactants left over. In the case of cars, this can be a big problem (See also: "Running Lean"). So, if we want to tell our fuel system "Make me go faster by pumping more gas" then we also need to get more air. If we don't, then the gas wont combust. Enter the CAI.

What actually happens in your car is it measures airflow at the MAF meter and adjusts fuel injection to match. Too much air and the car throws a lean code. It is capable of adjusting but only to the extent that you may have atmospheric variances. So, we can make a crucial inference from the fact that these CAIs require no tune; that these units flow no more air than the stock intake assembly. Based on the aforementioned logic, these filters allow the engine to burn no more gas and thus they produce no more power.

As for "Dyno tests" done by the parts manufacturer, caveat emptor. The motivation is for them to sell parts, and statistics can always be manipulated. Any small gain seen on a dyno could be due to measurement margin of error, different atmospheres, etc. There are so many variables at play here that it is effectively impossible to recreate the exact same conditions. "Butt dynos" are influenced by placebo effects and dozens of other psychological heuristics that are ultimately fallacious.

So, bottom line: if you want to spice up your engine bay, run with these. If you want power, I would look elsewhere, namely a tune. If you are dead set on a CAI and want some power gain, I would recommend the Airaid CAI which has a insert which can limit the intake to a no tune required level of airflow or be removed and be a tune required unit. Primary reason here is that the airaid has the largest tube diameter at the exit so if you ever upgraded your TB then the CAI would not be the constriction.

Users who are viewing this thread