BBK offroad H pipe w/out cats and 2 chambers...

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
Alright guys I had my cobra not even 24hrs and went and got some 2 chamber flows put on it. Well I like the sound over stock but it is not loud enough for me. I have spent hours reading through exhaust posts on here and stangnet and just want some fresh advice. From what I have read an x-pipe w/flows is not the way to go, but an H-pipe with or w/o cats is. I am on a limited budget and like the looks of the BBK offroad w/no cats. Now who has this setup and how loud is it. Next will I need the MIL eliminators? How easy of an install are both these parts. I work at a dealership so inspections will not be a problem at all. I just want some serious badass sound. I could spring for the h with cats but dont' want to if it is not necessary. Will the bbk have places for all the Oxygen sensors? Thanks, Frank

Skudra

Established Member
I have the flows w/out cats and I love it. Its an amazing sound. If you like the sound and want it louder, go with the h-pipe without cats. The O2 sensors should be fine because the h-pipe you buy should be made to fit them for your type of vehicle. You will not regret the o/r h-pipe!!

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i have the bbk long tube headers, and the bbk hpip without cats and 40 series flowmasters and it sounds awesome. I love it when die hard chevy guys tell me "Your car sounds awesome"

Get the o/r hpipe :-D you WON"T regret it. Yes, you will need MIL eliminators. the elims are pretty easy, you may have to splice the factory wiring, but that is no biggy at all. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, look for the extension ones...that just plug in on the end...

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
Where can I find these extension ones? Do the ones you have to splice come with instructions? Best prices for the hpipe w/out cats and the MILS and where? Did you have the flows before you got the Hpipe and headers? How much sound difference? Thanks, Frank

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Will an H pipe with cats be decently loud too? Obviously it's not going to be as loud as a o/r pipe, but I should be getting my buddy's H with cats soon and was wondering how much of a difference it will be. If it's not loud enough I might change mufflers haha.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
yes, i had the flow masters before the bbk hpipe and longtubes. It still sounds the same, I had a mac o/r hpipe before the bbk..but when i went to L/t headers, i needed a new hpipe. The longtubes gave it a deeper sound.

The flowmasters are really quiet at idle. I mean very quiet. But once you step on the gas, it screams!!!!

EastCoast: Yeah, the catted hpipe is gonna muffle the sound a lot.

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
What I mean Doug, is with just flowmasters and stock setup versus. BBK H-pipe with no cats and flowmasters, how much difference are we talking there? Loudness wise, I would imagine without cats it is going to change it quite a bit(just like I want, I want heads turning when I go down the street)!! Frank

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
that is what I wanted to know. This is what I am going to do, seems to be easy installation other than the MIL eliminators. Where can I find best prices you think? Summit seems to be the best so far. Frank

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
To bad you don't live nearby..I have a used bbk off road h-pipe for sale..80.00 only. There was a big difference in performance and sound. Best bang for the buck. I decided to change it to a magnaflow X-pipe with cats due to the strick smog laws in Calif. I used the plug-in type mil eliminators. They cost a little more than the cut and splice type. I didn't want to cut the wires just in case I have to return to stock.

BLACKVNM

Established Member
I have bbk o/r H and 40 series 2 chambers. Around 2k rpms is such a sweet sound, and when you get it up to around 4-5k it sounds even better! I would suggest getting the o/r h-flows setup, and the o/r h's don't cost ya too much.

Like Doug said, you will need MILS. The ones I got just plugged into the factory sensors and they work just fine! Good luck!

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
it used to have off road h and flows, it was loud, i got most of my stuff from brothers performance also, not the greatest prices but they are 10 minutes from my house and always have things in stock

SnkBit

Established Member
I have BBK longtubes with the BBK O/R H-Pipe and 2 chamber flows also. And its exactly what Doug said, Its AWSOME! It has a sound like no other. You will not regret it! Get them. I started out with just 2 chamber flows and it wasnt loud enough for me either, so I got the longtubes and o/r h pipe. Definately worth the money.

98bcobra

Established Member
I have BBK longtubes and O/R hpipe with the 40 series and everyone tells me my car sounds like a beast. I love the sound its awesome.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
its an awesome combo. i raced a couple people last night...no one said "man, you beat him pretty bad" like 8 people said "dude, your car sounds badass!!!!"

i like that :-D

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Doug
ummm...also check www.brothersperformance.com I've ordered quite a few things from them.

Me too, Vince is the man. I deal with him everytime. I dont even bother shopping around, some items may be more than other places, but thats ok to me, cause his customer service is absolutly awesome.

And heres a clip of my buddies car...

http://www.indi-x.com/albums/album83/P1010056.mov

1989 GT, with 96 DOHC. OR/H and 2 Chamber Flows (and CAI). Otherwise stock.

Might have to rightclick and save...

mustangdan429

Established Member
ok.... i got a question (sorry lbz-cobra) say you get the bbk off road h-pipe and 40 series flowmaster. what about beyond that...what tips and stufff do you guys have. i am just missing something? o well does anyone know what im saying?

thanks,
danny

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
when i had the flows in mine i just had them welded in so the tailpipes were stock, although it is good if your going to get a 2 1/2 inch h pipe to get a 2 1/2 inch catback, rather than leaving the stock 2 1/4 back there, if you get a whole catback you can get the tailpipes which come with catback

LBZ-COBRA

Established Member
Alright well I got the Hpipe installed last night and here goes. First off got a case of beer for me and my bud. Installation went fairly easy, we had the factory cats and h off in about a half hour. Now we mounted everything back up and it just didn't quite lineup the way I wanted. So we carefully tightened everything down but the right flowmaster was close to the driveshaft, so we spread apart the H-pipe and clamped it down keeping the muffler away from the driveshaft. Well we spread it to far and now we have balooned the end of it and it is leaking like hell. I am going to get one of my mechanics to shoot a bead around it this evening and it should take care of that. It sounds like azz right now because of all the hissing coming out of the H. Next I notice that when I rev it up in neutral and let is come back down in the rpm's it is popping and carrying on like hell. Is this normal or is this because of the leak I have right now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Frank

Users who are viewing this thread