BBK Cold Air Induction

97 horse snake

Established Member
definately get it. you'll gain 10-12 rwhp from it. i heard there's a heat soaking problem from them though.

zac;-)

Last edited:

mysticsvtcobra

Established Member
97 horse snake, Thanks for your input. So far I have a K&N filter,BBK High Flow X, Magnaflow cat back. These bolt ons made a good seat of the pants difference plus the sound is excellant. Thanks Again........

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by 97 horse snake
from my personal experience cai's don't give much of a gain if at all on our cars.
All this tells me is you don't have much experience if you think CAI's don't make a difference! :rollseyes mysticsvtcobra, the best performing CAI for the money is the newly released WMS set-up for the 96-98 Cobra, most of the faster guys run either the UPR or the AFM (but I think that's because the WMS hasn't been available) both of these provide about the same gains (10-12 RWHP and 1-2 mph gain in the 1/4) I run the UPR and it works well, it's 3 1/2" and WILL clear the factory strut tower brace. The AFM is a nice piece, it's 4" and ceramic coated, but it WILL NOT clear the factory strut tower brace and it cost a little more. The new WMS set-up and the AFM both put the filter in the fender and the UPR leaves it underhood (although, the WMS can be run like the UPR with just the upper section which is available separtely if you have the correct filter to work with the stock MAF). The upper section of the WMS is 3 1/2" so it WILL clear the factory strut tower brace but the lower section (from the MAF to the filter) is 4" and the WMS is available ceramic coated. I know a couple of guys that are running the new WMS set-up and it is performing on par (gain wise) with the UPR and the AFM pipe. If I didn't already have the UPR I would get the new WMS set-up, it looks to be better quality, ceramic coating is available for little extra, and it still beats the UPR on price. Hope that helps and TRUST ME they DO make a difference! ;-)

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I run a Densecharger, cool piece. Most like it some dont, I would recommend it in a heartbeat. The only negative I hear about the BBK unit is that it soaks heat. That is debatable I think it looks great.

Alex

Levi

Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
I run a Densecharger, cool piece. Most like it some dont, I would recommend it in a heartbeat. The only negative I hear about the BBK unit is that it soaks heat. That is debatable I think it looks great.

Alex

I learned the hard way about the BBK heat soaking problem. It does clear my strut tower brace and thats why I got it. Densecharge and Nathaniel's have great products.

Mystic 544

Established Member
I just picked up the complete WMS set up with the 87mm ProM all in the silver ceramic coating...looks great, I'll post up a pick later tonight. I can't wait for good weather so I can see/feel it in action!
The only thing I can see wrong with it is that it comes with a closed top K&N filter, I would assume that a filter with the top portion open to accept air flow would work better. I'll have to keep my eyes open for something like that, I believe Accel makes one just not sure on the sizes???
Tim

97 horse snake

Established Member
what are you guys talking about? i said to get it. where are you getting those quotes from? ;-) either way, you already have a filter.

Last edited:

97 horse snake

Established Member
oh shit, i almost forgot about gears. yeah, save up for some gears first. don't make the mistake of getting 3.73's like i did. go at least 4.10's.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by Mystic 544
I just picked up the complete WMS set up with the 87mm ProM all in the silver ceramic coating...looks great, I'll post up a pick later tonight. I can't wait for good weather so I can see/feel it in action!
The only thing I can see wrong with it is that it comes with a closed top K&N filter, I would assume that a filter with the top portion open to accept air flow would work better. I'll have to keep my eyes open for something like that, I believe Accel makes one just not sure on the sizes???
Tim
The S&B powerstack filter is what you are looking for (that's the brand that all the '03 Cobra and Lightning guys run) UPR sells them (they call them "BigMouth's"), just take some measurements and give them a call, it should cost around $40 bucks. :beer:

Mystic 544

Established Member
The S&B powerstack filter is what you are looking for
Yep! So do you think that would make much difference as compaired to the K&N, or pretty much a waste of another $40?
Here is a picture of the WMS system I just got. Great quality!

ALLNTRL

Established Member
IMO, the more filter area, the better, especially when your having to use a smaller filter because of its placement in the fender. Every Major Cobra/Lightning tuner in the country uses the S&B filter, I think that should tell you something. ;-) But, on another note given your car is mildly modded the filter that the WMS set-up comes with "might" be able to flow enough air to support what your engine actually needs given your current mods. There is a formula for figuring out how much CFM your engine actually needs but for the life of me I can't remember what it is! :bash: If you can determine the amount of CFM required for your application then you could find out how much CFM the WMS filter will flow and see if it is enough or not. Hope that helps.

If you were wondering, I run an S&B on my car. :-D

mysticsvtcobra

Established Member
Thanks again for the replies, Lot's of choices. Questions concerning the BBK's. The heat soaking problem from some of the replies, is it during extreme temperatures and what problems does this cause?

ALLNTRL

Established Member
You will get heat soak with any of the CAI's (some worse than others) this will all depend on the material of the CAI, the outside temp., and how long you are stuck either just idleing or in slow moving situations where there is no or little air flow underhood to keep the temps down and heat soak is going to occur. This is one of the reasons I like the ceramic coating on the WMS as it helps to dissipate the heat more quickly. The DOHC enignes HATE the heat and basically what heat soak does is cost you power. Hope that helps. :beer:

Levi

Established Member
Again Allntrl is right on the mark. I think if BBk was ceramic coating it would helps to dissipate the heat, instead of chrome which I think is what traps the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread