Battery terminal end toast!! Warranty??

clc44

Established Member
I have a 2013 mustang gt, went to start my car yesterday and the positive battery terminal end broke. I've had them cleaned several times. Car isn't even three years old but has 43k miles. The part is on backorder. They're going to try and make something work. Any advice? Thinking about calling ford. This part shouldn't be failing yet. A lot of people are having this issue. Wonder if ford is going to do anything to fix it? Why causes the excessive corrosion? It has destroyed my battery blanket and even some acid on intake cover. It's just frustrating for that part to leave me stranded. Already paid $100 to get it towed. Any advice would be great!!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Do you still have the positive post cover|seal? Was there an excessive build up/visible corrosion? Could be brought on by heat and humidity levels, dirt etc. Would check out the battery too and see if its cracked or seeping, could also be caused by overcharging if it happened on the positive post. This happened to my fathers 2007 Grand Marquis recently, I ended up replacing the entire harness from battery to starter, alternator and the battery. The battery in a buddies GT500 blew up, quite literally while driving. His car sat parked for extended periods of time on a trickle charger, so I wonder if that did not contribute to the problem.

Last edited:

clc44

Established Member
Do you still have the positive post cover|seal? Was there an excessive build up/visible corrosion? Could be brought on by heat and humidity levels, dirt etc. Would check out the battery too and see if its cracked or seeping, could also be caused by overcharging if it happened on the positive post. This happened to my fathers 2007 Grand Marquis recently, I ended up replacing the entire harness from battery to starter, alternator and the battery. The battery in a buddies GT500 blew up, quite literally while driving. His car sat parked for extended periods of time on a trickle charger, so I wonder if that did not contribute to the problem.
They tested the battery, one dead cell. It hasn't been giving me issues. Had some corrosion on the battery terminal but not a lot as I just cleaned it. I've cleaned them twice since I've owned the car (8 months).

Problem is..... Ford has the part on backorder with no eta. No aftermarket parts available. The harness is like no other. The neg, pos and 3 other wires are all connected to this harness with a fuse on the end. Can't disconnect the wire from terminal end without cutting. So basically ford expects me to go without my car running for an unannounced amount of time? It's less than 3 years old but has 42 k miles.

soSincerious

Established Member
the primary failed part is the battery, which is leaking acid onto the terminal. this caused the terminal to corrode and fail.

depending on how ford prorates their batteries, both the battery and the harness should be covered under warranty. even 25% warranty 75% customer pay on the battery should still cover the harness 100%.

hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread