battery relocation

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
has anyone moved their battery to the trunk over the right back tire? how much would this help weight transfer on our pigs? what about the front sway bar as well? thanks

Juiced-03

Established Member
I did the battery relocation to mine. I did notice a bit more lift from the front end. Cant really comment on the traction problem though because I got a new tune at the same time so traction actually got worse lol! I am sure it helps some though, that battery is heavy! Here is a pic (sorry it's huge):

battery%20box.jpg

maoun

Established Member
remember that if you want to drag race after that you need to have a vent tube, metal tie downs, and kill switch on the back

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Moving the battery to the trunk is one of the best ways to even out the weight ditribution on our nose-heavy cars. I haven't done it yet to mine because of potential warranty issues, but I did on my last mustang and it significantly increased traction! I would highly recommend it. Just make sure you have a good ground connection both in the engine compartment and in the trunk for optimal charging and starting current. For the front sway bar...removing it helps at the drag strip, but I would not drive it on the street without one.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by JaketheSnake
how much effort does it take to remove the front sway bar

Not much but theres really no weight savings. One of the magazines measure it and was really nothing. Also they didnt get any better times.

There was somone on here that posted his times with and without. I looked at it as kinda of a waste if your driving the streets also. But if your going all out everthing adds up!

maoun

Established Member
it's not the weight savings per say but more the weight transfer ability. i hear it helps a lot with that...allowing your front to lift up easily....not quite sure the physics behind it...skeptical myself

JaketheSnake

roll race? where?
Established Member
yeah, i was going with weight transfer, the fbodies have decent weight transfer but i think we could with some mods, i like free and cheap though

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Well when they did the test in the magazine they felt it didnt help at all like they thought. It was in MM& FF or 5.0 I can find it if you want me to get you the month of the mag to read it so you can decide?

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Front sway bar end links are removed with a deep well 15mm socket. You can use a deep well 5/8 if you don't have the 15mm. Use a 10mm combo wrench to hold the end link from spinning. An air ratchet helps so you're not cranking so much while contorted under the car. Must be done w/ the car on ramps. The sway bar brackets are also removed w/ the same wrench. Setup weighs about 20+ pounds and the nose comes up very nicely.

For those that moved the battery to the trunk, did you notice any hard start problems? I got tired of the hard starts in my 89lx so I haven't done it to this car yet.
HTH

Juiced-03

Established Member
JerryK,

No hard starts here! I think it really depends upon the quality of wiring you use which makes the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread