Battery or alternator?

99BlkLitng

Established Member
When the efan kicks on my lights dim inside and out. Is this the battery going out on me or could this be the alternator? I have an optima yellow top and thought this would be a good battery for the added efan and gauges. Let me know what might be causing this as I am stuck with either alternator or battery going out.

Thanks
Damon

SlammedSVT

Who's ya Daddy?
Established Member
get a volt metor and check your volts on your battery as well also you might not have a good ground when you hooked your efan up

Last edited:

mifordman

Established Member
what he said and if that checks out ok i think autozone will do an alternator check, or if you have an amp clamp you can do it yourself.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The E-fans have a big amp draw on the electrical system when first turned on. Thats why I went with a DC controller for my electric fans. the controller turns the fans on slowly so there isn't a big amp draw when the fans kick on.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Could be a bad ground, weak alternator, or both. My Flex-a-lite fans don't cause any dimming whatsoever.

MMCustomworks

Gauge Pod Whore
Established Member
Upgrade your alternator, I got a 200 amp version and have never had problems since with my e-fan. I also bought a truck heavy duty battery with alot more cold cranking amps than the stock battery. Stocks around 650cca, my battery is in the 850's. If you have a sub system get a cap also.

99BlkLitng

Established Member
so what battery other then the optima would be good to use with my added efan and gauges if the battery is the problem? If the alternator is the problem should i get another stock one or step up to something else? i will check the voltage when i get home tonight to see what is going on.

MMCustomworks said:
Upgrade your alternator, I got a 200 amp version and have never had problems since with my e-fan. I also bought a truck heavy duty battery with alot more cold cranking amps than the stock battery. Stocks around 650cca, my battery is in the 850's. If you have a sub system get a cap also.

Where did you get the 200 amp alternator and what is the name of the battery that you use?

MMCustomworks

Gauge Pod Whore
Established Member
Where did you get the 200 amp alternator and what is the name of the battery that you use?

Mr. Alternator, the only problem with him is he does'nt make a proper pulley for the alternator that fits like the stocker. The pulley MUST almost sit flush against the front case of the alternator. I had him mill me a custom pulley that finally worked. Before that, my truck ate a belt every few months from the system not being perfectly aligned. Ask him if he fixed this problem if you go this route. If he tells you to just use your stock pulley go somewhere else.

I only use Die hard heavy duty truck batterys now. Replace mine every 4yrs, had very bad luck with Interstate battery's. Can't see buying a Optima battery when the heat will just kill the battery in FL. Sears battery's only cost $60 and work fine.

http://www.mralternator.com/alternators/ford.html

Last edited:

99BlkLitng

Established Member
I checked the voltage on the battery and alternator. they are all good. any other suggestions? should I try a different battery?

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I replaced my Red Top Optima with a Duralast from AutoZone cause in a little over 2 years it was junk. My tuner couldnt get a program to load without the batt going dead on him if he left the door open while changing the tune

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
THUNDER BOLT said:
The E-fans have a big amp draw on the electrical system when first turned on. Thats why I went with a DC controller for my electric fans. the controller turns the fans on slowly so there isn't a big amp draw when the fans kick on.

thats smooth. Going to look into it.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Spencer - Battery companies can put whatever # they want to on their batteries as far as cranking amps go. What I can tell you is Consumer Reports ranked our batteries the best. Every time I sell a battery I test it before it leaves. Batteries that are advertised @ 770CCA's test at over 1000 everytime. I also test batteries that customers bring in. Duralast (junk) batteries consistently test 100amps or more below what the sticker on the battery says. Our NAPA Legend 75 #7565 is rated at 880cca's and 1040ca's. I had to put one in my truck last year and I tested it before I brought it home. It had over 1200 CCA's. Not bad for a battery rated at 880.

Users who are viewing this thread